Sign in to follow this  
Stride

Home made bread

Bread in supermarkets is full of so many chemicals so I decided to start baking at home.

It is very fun, and easier than you think. Has anyone else tried it here?

• Like 1

Make sure the wheat hasn't been sprayed with glyphosate to make it ripen if grown in northern climes. It's not just used as a herbicide.

Edited by Janet W

Nothing beats a self made bread!

The hand work, the dough, the whole house smelling like fresh bread while baking it.

14 hours ago, Janet W said:

Make sure the wheat hasn't been sprayed with glyphosate to make it ripen if grown in northern climes. It's not just used as a herbicide.

Organic Marriages brown and Doves white is what we use, 20/80, the whole house in like a bakers over at 9 O-clock in the morning warm as, and it lasts all day, then we can make some propper,

And while we are at it, lets have some,

Edited by The Apprentice

Oh yeah, it's not hard.   Kneading is fun.    Baking makes your house warm, smells good, and you save  money too (much cheaper than the baker)

I bake my own but do admit to using a bread-maker, just pore in the ingredients and let it get on with it. The bread makes the best toast for beans on toast EVER!! 

6 minutes ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

I bake my own but do admit to using a bread-maker, just pore in the ingredients and let it get on with it. The bread makes the best toast for beans on toast EVER!! 

I use a bread maker also for mixing and rising, but I take it out to bake.  I do not like the way the breadmaker bakes it.  I also use it for mixing pie crust and noodles.  

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Change2 said:

I use a bread maker also for mixing and rising, but I take it out to bake.  I do not like the way the breadmaker bakes it.  I also use it for mixing pie crust and noodles.  

I do that if I'm making muffins (uk muffins not us ones) or current teacakes, if I'm baking a loaf i let the bread-maker do it, mine seems to do a good job and its only a cheep second hand kenwood one. getting the tittle stirrer out the bottom of the loaf is a pain tho.

Edited by Itsjaybigjay

1 hour ago, ty.shakleford said:

Oh yeah, it's not hard.   Kneading is fun.    Baking makes your house warm, smells good, and you save  money too (much cheaper than the baker)

you also know what's going into the bread

commerical, corporate bread often contains L-cysteine which is derived from human hair. They process human hair to create L-cysteine and then use it in your bread

3 hours ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

I do that if I'm making muffins (uk muffins not us ones) or current teacakes, if I'm baking a loaf i let the bread-maker do it, mine seems to do a good job and its only a cheep second hand kenwood one. getting the tittle stirrer out the bottom of the loaf is a pain tho.

That is a good idea about the muffins, never thought about that one. Getting the stirrer out is part of the problem, mine bends and it is hard as heck to get out, but mine also leaves a funny smell to the bread.  So I just take it out bake it in a loaf pan.  I got mine cheap too from a Good Will store.  

Posted (edited)

using a naturally cultivated levain (in english - sourdough) is how I have risen most of my breads for the last 15 years - i tend towards rye breads - some 100pct but also a mix of between 80-70pct rye to wheat - a great resource is here - http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

have recently tried german pumpernickel which is baked for 16-24 hours at about 100-120C -  a new cooker which allows oven temp as low as 50C  made it possible

for bannetons and other bakery things try - https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/

Edited by georgesmiley
  • Like 1