The Apprentice

Hands and minds thread

In this world and all there is science sometimes we need many forms of escape, in this thread we can add a whole sellection of video's from many different forms or thoughts and a way of doing things, from the weaving of cloth to the building of a space ship.

The winter nights are coming and the dark nights are beckoning, so grab yourself a mug of tea and a home made biscuit and relax.

Edited by The Apprentice

Long boring holes in timber for making musical instruments, my way.

Today in between creating my next video, I have been busy making a batch of drilled blanks for a future project, the timber being worked is one of the best tonal timbers on the planet and whoefully ignored for making flutes and or many other instruments, English Holly is not a commercially available timber so about twenty years ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a life times supply of one of the best timbers to both turn but makes great musical instruments.

One of the reasons why I chose for using the more traditional timbers is now rearing its ugly head, in the form of massive EU legislations, basically banning the more exoctic timbers like Ebony and the many Rosewoods from around the world, at a cost that is, a cost in obtaining licence fees in order of exporting these timbers back into the world from whence it came, ever hungry is the new EU monster for making new takes and slowing down any progress that we might of gained over the last 100 years or so.

Let me show you how I do this, on a budget and with great accuracy using the minimum of tooling.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/i2VYBDYB3Q6t/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

Thanks for posting that last video you've given me an idea how i can make some new wooden rollers for my mangle now.

No problems Jay, are you going to use Beech for the rollers?

I have made several new front rollers this way for the old push lawnmovers, the shafts go in a couple of inches on those, not sure about roller for a mangle though.

Another one of my faviorite films of this family run outfit who are actually still in bussiness today, the old boy only died a couple of years ago, filmed in the 80's,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

No problems Jay, are you going to use Beech for the rollers?

I have made several new front rollers this way for the old push lawnmovers, the shafts go in a couple of inches on those, not sure about roller for a mangle though.

I was going to use Beech or Ash i have both available to me.

HANDS

Made recently for my home made engraving project, a chasing hammer,

20190902_150140

20190902_150155

After much experimentation and design I now have a reliable air driven graver, made from stainless steel, Ebony handle, brass valve system and delrin body,

20190904_201702[1]

20190905_101657[1]

Sectional view 3D CAD, I have the files if anyone would like to make one of these,

graver explo.SLDASM ds1

Edited by The Apprentice

HANDS

I have ecently finished these hand engraving tools, three chisels and a chasing hammer for my next project, hand engraving.

The hammer head was hand turned on my homemade woodturning lathe that I designed and adapted using several metalworking attachments like the 3 jaw chuck, the handles are crafted from a very striking timber called Pink Ivorywood, Yes, that is the true colour which is enhanced by using boiled linseed oil to bring out the fine grain and flame within the timber.

The chisels were also turned and fabricated in the same way using age old tried and tested metal turning skills from 316 stainless steel.

20190907_220732[1].jpg

Hands

My own handmade hand engravers set ready to be used shortly, I thought it was best to make a custom full grain leather rolls to protects everything and a marking out scribe to complete the full set, can't wait to get tapping.

20190909_180314[1]

20190909_180226[1]

20190909_180203[1]

20190909_180132[1]

20190908_165146[1]

20190908_165219[1]

20190908_165230[1]

Edited by The Apprentice

@The Apprentice

Fantastic work there, what metal working lath do you use? I have a very basic wood turning lath but have been considering getting a small metal turning lath manly for machining parts for the vintage radios i work on.

• Like 1