The Apprentice

Hands and minds thread

1 hour ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

@The Apprentice

Fantastic work there, what metal working lath do you use? I have a very basic wood turning lath but have been considering getting a small metal turning lath manly for machining parts for the vintage radios i work on.

Thanks Jay, the lathe I use is one I made from old metalwork parts and for metal turning the old way, it has the metal chucks etc but is manual, I turn all of my metal parts as well as wood on her using gravers, as in this short video, I remove the bulk in a few seconds using an angle grinder to cut several small slots then turn the rest away by hand with a graver,

https://www.bitchute.com/video/MJc41PGlFblO/

I sold my Myford super 7 a few years ago as I did not need it for what I was going to concentrate upon, turning brass is very easy in what I use today, infact I can turn brass faster than I can in a metal lathe, especially curves.

Hands and minds in the trim

Engravers ball vice Mk 2, here I fitted a hand turn disc for a much more comfortable experience, the hand lies in a much more natural position than it does when trying to grasp the main body of the chuck whilst working, Mk 3 coming soon.

20190913_115730.jpg

Hands

Made today a bespoke deep reach jewellers saw for the extra wide blades, the bow is made from 1/4" square solid PB 102 bronze, the blade holders from stailess steel 316, and the handle from Partridgewood, she is a real pleasure to use.

20190914_153238[1]

20190914_153248[1]

20190914_153306[1]

20190914_153259[1]

• Like 1

Hands

My all new design engravers ball vice and recently made multi jaw system for holding just about any shape via a series of multi positioning holes in the self centering pin holes plates, here you can attatch a multitude of different jigs for grasping complicated shapes.

Lots more tools coming for this system.

20190918_015657[1].jpg

20 minutes ago, awake said:

Minds

Planetary (2015)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3462896/

Truly inspiring. Recommended to all

Hands and minds

In the closing words of the film is a question from another pair or creators; I ask the question, that If we are part of the greater universe then how can we truly be a part of it, if we forget that we are part of the place where we live within.

Edited by The Apprentice

22 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

I ask the question, that If we are part of the greater universe then how can we truly be a part of it, if we forget that we are part of the place where we live within.

What they are saying is not to see ourselves as separate, but a unity with all creation

I know what you are saying though because most of us are trapped in this institution

1 hour ago, awake said:

What they are saying is not to see ourselves as separate, but a unity with all creation

I know what you are saying though because most of us are trapped in this institution

I would say we are concentrated by design, not trapped.

To be truly trapped means an inibilty to achieve the alternative actions, to be prevented from doing so, as we are today we are being trained to think we are incapable of doing this, not physically prevented.

We can still go where we want to by and large, but that window of opportunity is being closed fast.

Edited by The Apprentice

Hello Apprentice, do you have any recomendations for engraving silver, tools I mean. I have some hand engravers gravels(?) but cant get any decent cuts...any advice?

25 minutes ago, I am I said:

Hello Apprentice, do you have any recomendations for engraving silver, tools I mean. I have some hand engravers gravels(?) but cant get any decent cuts...any advice?

Hi I am I,

I'mno expert in this field yet, but what I do recommend is, getting a decent setup for sharpening if you have'nt already, I made my own as you can see on my video blogs of the machine, here is where the goodness eminates from, really sharp tools.

I also went down the route of making my own equipment but now wished I had gone fror a commercial pneumatic setup, even a cheaper brand from China would get you going, there is tons of video's on the web where guys are making their own but none are really up to scratch where ease of use in concerned.

I'm currently experimenting with hand gravels and have found that a 106 degree V is the way to go, you can get one of these manual jigs if that is where your at with doing it purely by hand, they are inexpensive and do work once you have mastered the adjustments.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROCKER-STYLE-GRAVER-SHARPENER-ENGRAVER-TOOL-HOLDER-SHARPEN-GRAVERS-OILSTONE/192911526674

Video here of one being used,

I have been told by a local shop that once you get the hang of it, its not the difficult to master.

I am currently finding out how easy/hard it is, and will be doing some more video's and making more tools like the ones you see in the video.

There is also this route for manual engraving, I'm trying both methods and tools,

Edited by The Apprentice
  • Like 1

Good stuff Apprentice, I have a jewellers bench my Father made for me shortly before he passed away from Oak that I will always keep. Will be sure to watch you're videos in the future.  I am self taught so far and engraving is something I would like to master without expensive machinery.

12 minutes ago, I am I said:

Good stuff Apprentice, I have a jewellers bench my Father made for me shortly before he passed away from Oak that I will always keep. Will be sure to watch you're videos in the future.  I am self taught so far and engraving is something I would like to master without expensive machinery.

Your welcome my freind,

https://www.bitchute.com/video/9WzpZxelQY6M/

To get cheap tool steel buy some of these, green version only, no nasty addatives in these, they come in various sizes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-TIG-WELDING-TUNGSTEN-ELECTRODES-RED-WHITE-GREY-BLUE-GOLD-GREEN-1-6mm-2-4mm/273623448894?hash=item3fb53a7d3e:m:mjljhtDF7CsztZsYqj3gDnA

Do you know how to harden and temper 01 tool steel?

Yes, I have "The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight" and "The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes: From Enamelling and Engraving to Inlay and Granulation" by Jinks McGraph, sorry for bolded, can't disable it on post.

I have a good torch for annealing.

• Like 1