The Apprentice

Hands and minds thread

Hands

Made over this weekend between blogging here in the DIS,

My version of a Trojan war helmet medallion, made from a billet of recycled Sterling silver scraps collected from older projects, this full 2 Troy ounces, measuring 50.00mm deep and 30.00mm wide and 4.00mm thick.

I still have to fit some square cut deep red ruby eyes to him when I can afford them.

20190922_143338

20190922_14301820190922_143059

• Like 2

16 hours ago, I am I said:

Yes, I have "The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight" and "The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes: From Enamelling and Engraving to Inlay and Granulation" by Jinks McGraph, sorry for bolded, can't disable it on post.

I have a good torch for annealing.

Then your already over half way there if you can convert your own tooling from raw stock metals, here is another good video on hand push engraving,

Edited by The Apprentice

Minds in harmony and in balance with their surroundings.

If more people tried to balance their minds the planet would be in a much better shape.

Hands

Today was too wet to work outside in the garden, so I knocked this simple one piece sold Sterling jewel together,

I made it for her in doors this Viking style mask pendant for her birthday which is coming up soon, she loves medieval tokens, she has not seen it yet, I managed to sneak it past her while she was busy knitting some winter socks in her study, it measures 40 by 25 mm and is 3.00mm thick, wieghs one Troy ounce with the 22 inch rope chain.

20190929_200019[1]

• Like 1

Hands

Here is something I really needed for my tool kit, a simple expanding mandrel and or ring holder to grip multiple sizes of ring steady for doing the finer work of stone setting which I'm just about to embark upon.

It was made from the many off cuts within my bits box, costing around eight pounds in materials to make it, and about a days liber free.

20191003_231000[1]

20191003_230730[1]

More here, https://www.bitchute.com/video/qlcqNWgrYmom/

• Like 1

Don't know if you've already come across this chap Apprentice but if not all his stuff is worth a watch, He lives and has a full  iron working workshop all off grid. and like you makes most of the tools he needs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

Don't know if you've already come across this chap Apprentice but if not all his stuff is worth a watch, He lives and has a full  iron working workshop all off grid. and like you makes most of the tools he needs.

I have seen quite a few of his videos, he is very tallented indeed, love the story of how he first moved into his wooden house.

He is way better equipped than myself.

The old red lathe he shows is a Coronet, which was the rolls royce of lathes in its day.

Edited by The Apprentice

1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

I have seen quite a few of his videos, he is very tallented indeed, love the story of how he first moved into his wooden house.

He is way better equipped than myself.

The old red lathe he shows is a Coronet, which was the rolls royce of lathes in its day.

Agreed he's a very talented man, His Land rover restoration has been an inspiration for me to get on and finish my own Land rover rebuild.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

Agreed he's a very talented man, His Land rover restoration has been an inspiration for me to get on and finish my own Land rover rebuild.

There are lots of tallent out there in small shops and sheds like mine, this is who we are as humans, true creators of our minds eye.

I used to work in one of the Uk's largest civiian military main base workshops on all sorts of machines to base repair level, basically you put an old beat up landi in at one end and it comes out the other side brand new again, we were all trained in every part of the process so we could slot into any position if someone was off ill, the best job I had there was the full repair of the 19 litre L60 main battle tank engines, two stroke diesels.

Hands

Needs are sometimes greater than wants, so yesterday a very rainy day in the shed I made this tool for holding rings and bracelets, the parts came from my bits box which I have colected over many years, it often wonders me what else is lying in side this jumble of off cuts, here she is, a very simple apparatus that will make working on fiddly part so much easier.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/oDGANv7J1lZG/

20191007_183400.jpg

Hands

Been busy today, here is what I have been making, using this method of sanding makes it a lot cheaper than buying lots of files to do the finer work, I like to save spending money on throw away emery sticks which this system does, you simply change the paper instead of throwing away the stick which has the paper stuck to it.

2019_1011_161820_008

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/welcome-to-my-home-made-world/

Edited by The Apprentice

We have reaached the stage in our empire where the mistakes, made mostly due to beligerance and greed, where the costs of such folly are passed onto the very people they have knowingly damage and or neglected. In place is the same departments and MO that paid off every 911 victim, so the corporate greed and mindset can carry on as perusual until the damage cannot be hidden any further.

Those who run the exchange mechanism for your labour, IE, The Money, will win hands down until they no longer have the surplus ability to print our energy in tokens digital, which is the ultimate deception, when they do achieve this age old desire things will get even worse from that point onwards.

This is why we need to begin bartering our true wealth and labour in a digital manner, when we create anything we need to part with it in a way that the curent masters of spin and their digital reality cannot function, and that is by retaining the real life skills that will keep you and your loved ones secure when all else is rationed and is seemingly failing when it actually isn't, we all know what I am reffering too here.

The true slaves of tomorrow will be those devoid of real life skills and no alternatives exchanged mechanisms and products left to fall back upon, the clock is ticking folks, its time to close your bibles and books of what has come and gone and begin learning useful vocations, instead of following guru's who talk and have nothing themselves but others labour in their digital banks and sky reality payment systems, which are currently collecting and converting the remaining cash within society, which is running at about a hundred million in real terms in real pockets.

Furthermore and on topic is this,

Digital day removed over 140 percent of our former 240 penny glory, over night, the digital paradigm is currently removing and converting the rest, as each new coin is minted and released only 50% are allowed back into circulation, along with these tokens and at the same time have redistributed your skills, your wherewithall to function outside of this kind of reality, don't say I never warned you what happens when a society has lost its last bullets/self dint, to the digital ghost in our midst.

Then the books that pertain to it will be worthless and only worth the therms they hold as fuel.

Just saying.

Edited by The Apprentice

Sort of appropriate for this thread I guess, though there are some holes in the story:

Meet Walsall supermum of two who has renovated her entire home for free - and how she did it

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/meet-walsall-supermum-two-who-17189276

The holes being that she didn't actually do it for 'free', and that she was simply doing work that her landlord should have surely done.

On her quest to make her dream home for free, Rebecca says she became obsessed with websites Freegle, Freecycle, Freelywheely and Facebook Marketplace.

“Once you sign up to the freebie websites, they’ll start sending you alerts every morning. Go on there each day to see what’s been listed – everything is free!”

She says if you’re after something specific – put a request out, as other users are always on the look out for ways to give their unused treasures a new home.

“Over the past few years I’ve saved hundreds of pounds on the sites. All for free, I’ve managed to pick up a solid wood wardrobe, shredder, and even a vintage, working sewing machine to do my crafts around the house.

But still, there is a lot that other people can learn, namely that you don't have to spend huge sums of money paying other people to do work for you, when you can do the work yourself as long as you're prepared to put the time and effort in.

“And lastly, do it yourself. It’s such a rewarding feeling to see the result of your own hard work.”

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Sort of appropriate for this thread I guess, though there are some holes in the story:

Meet Walsall supermum of two who has renovated her entire home for free - and how she did it

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/meet-walsall-supermum-two-who-17189276

The holes being that she didn't actually do it for 'free', and that she was simply doing work that her landlord should have surely done.

But still, there is a lot that other people can learn, namely that you don't have to spend huge sums of money paying other people to do work for you, when you can do the work yourself as long as you're prepared to put the time and effort in.

Couldn't agree more.

It looks like she has been busy recycling, which is really easy to do in modernity and our throw away society, good on her, the main thing is she is having a go, this is what counts.

My homemade version of a marquetry chevalette, she is made entirely from Russian birchwood plywood, and to get a better perspective of how it works I have added a video below.

First I drew everything to scale in Solidworks 3D then set too and made it in plywood, as far as I know it is the first saw made entirely out of plywood using the slot and tongue building method, she works really well, I will add some new video's this winter once the shorter days set in, as always, thanks for looking.

If anyone is interested in my plans they are welcome to them for free, tools needed to build this is a router and a jigsaw and a decent hand drill.

20180208_135229.jpg

Chevalette 5.SLDASM a.JPG

Chevalette 5.SLDASMb.JPG

Chevalette 5.SLDASMc.JPG

Chevalette 5.SLDASMd.JPG

hjtyh.JPG

Chevalette 5.SLDASMf.JPG

Edited by The Apprentice