The Apprentice

Hands and minds thread

A few more things I made during my time as an engineer and I had access to a decent workshop,

The largets project I ever did was this red five meter long portable bandsaw mill weighing only 400 kg, which I used to pull around the farms with the Honda big red quad, this cut up many thousands of board feet from our own oak and others woodlands, it paid for itself several times over.

The next is a portable chainsaw mill I made for reaching and converting awkwardly situated fallen timber that the bandsaw mill could not reach, here you can see the first cut being done using an aluminium ladder across the top of log to get the first accurate surface to run the rest of the cuts upon thereafter.

Third picture is of the last Amish style wheelbarrow I made quite a few years ago, made entirely from recycled timber, donning its full English pattern staggered spoked wheel.

The next picture is a masonic gavel I made using black ebony and white English Holly squares, solid ebony handle with a matching sounding board inlay and beech body.

Last two are a couple of hand rolled brass bespoke bee smokers.

bandsaw.jpg

milling.jpg

barrow.jpg

masonic gavel.jpg

smoker 2.jpg

smoker.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

A few more things I made during my time as an engineer and I had access to a decent workshop,

The largets project I ever did was this red five meter long portable bandsaw mill weighing only 400 kg, which I used to pull around the farms with the Honda big red quad, this cut up many thousands of board feet from our own oak and others woodlands, it paid for itself several times over.

The next is a portable chainsaw mill I made for reaching and converting awkwardly situated fallen timber that the bandsaw mill could not reach, here you can see the first cut being done using an aluminium ladder across the top of log to get the first accurate surface to run the rest of the cuts upon thereafter.

Third picture is of the last Amish style wheelbarrow I made quite a few years ago, made entirely from recycled timber, donning its full English pattern staggered spoked wheel.

The next picture is a masonic gavel I made using black ebony and white English Holly squares, solid ebony handle with a matching sounding board inlay and beech body.

Last two are a couple of hand rolled brass bespoke bee smokers.

masonic gavel.jpg

Impressive. Why would you want to make a masonic gavel?

15 minutes ago, Chantelle Imperiosi said:

I was experimenting with making Tunbridge Ware at the time, which is lots of small squares of wood glued together to get intresting patterns, the gavel is a very desired item, the Masonic title was by pure chance really, but the two colours pertain to Masonry, and both subjects sell very well.

Here is another I made from solid Laburnum with a Sterling silver cabochon holding everything together.

20160925_111039.jpg

20160925_111100.jpg

20160925_111120.jpg

Edited by The Apprentice

Our quiet corner in the garden, where we made a seating area below the willows, Hawthorns and apple trees, we used the butt of an old larch tree to make the main stump supporst and what was left of a huge Sycamore tree that died about ten years ago, all the materials were recycled from nature and converted to seavre us for probalbly another twenty years by which time we won't be here but the seats will be.

DSCN1520.JPG

Edited by The Apprentice

On 11/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, Chantelle Imperiosi said:

Someone  making several ornate gavels could sell them to other people or use them in exchange or give them as gifts.

Very handy for walnuts and hazelnuts at Xmas too I imagine.

"Why would you want to make a wheelbarrow?"

Make one wheelbarrow and it's a handy thing for shifting stuff.

Make thousands to build and maintain an empire just like the Han Chinese did.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, serpentine said:

Someone  making several ornate gavels could sell them to other people or use them in exchange or give them as gifts.

Very handy for walnuts and hazelnuts at Xmas too I imagine.

"Why would you want to make a wheelbarrow?"

Make one wheelbarrow and it's a handy thing for shifting stuff.

Make thousands to build and maintain an empire just like the Han Chinese did.

I got the plans from an Amish freind in Lancaster county, he says they have ben making them since 1885 and the price has hardly changed since then, they are great for turning into a flat bogey as well as the side can be removed allowing wide loas to be carrier. I have made 5, one every year and gave one to another gardener freind and swapped one for a large 2 wheeled market barrow which I will show everyone as soon as winter is over, with a unique design I came up with for quick flip sides.

We have been at it for over 30 years now, making things, and the savings are quite considerable on many items, with lots more to come in the next few years.

I like to swap stuff rather than sell it, I have another design of nut breaker made from wood, so I might make one and give small things away to the one of the members, infact I might do this every month now the longer nights are coming.

Edited by The Apprentice

Been busy today making some new keys for an old flute that were missing, first draw out in Solidworks then 3D printed in order of making a new loss wax mold and then casting, one offs that you cannot buy to replace them, clear resin to vulcanize for making wax models.

Here is where technology save many hours of toil, where you would have to beat out by hand and lots of filing as I did things before,

Printer Anycubic Photon, superb unit for those who might be thinking of getting into the printing arena.

20150104_194320[1].jpg

20150104_194506[1].jpg

I has come to that time of year again, now the longer darker nights are upon us we often get out our homemade spinning wheels out and spin some of our loclly aquired rare breed sheeps wool, we have a room full of all different kinds of wool from local rare breeders and other local flocks like the famous Wensledale flock at Garriston North Yorkshire.

My faviourite wheel is one I made from local recycled Ash, she has a double treddle and a thirty inch wheel and made in the old Saxony style, pictured below.

To make one of these takes about a hundred hours and has many seperate pieces, the wheel was made by making a hige flat wooden chuck to hold everything together like a giant lathe chuck which clamps everything into a perfect circle and also holds it flat, this way the wheel cannot warp when the glue is setting, quite a difficult job when you reach this diameter of wheel.

20150108_044810.jpg

20160923_093828.jpg

Recently I have been doing a project to first design and then make a pneumatic hand engraving system, an existing unit from a company can cost in excess of a thousand pounds retail, but the one I have developed should cost in the region of around fifty pounds all in.

Here is the prototype on the Solidworks 3D drawing board.

Here is how far I have got, the unit is supported by a wooden frame and the motor is a new unit from a Dyson hoover 240 volt Ac.

I still have to make the air valve body on the 3D printer but will keep the updates coming as things develope, and explain how they all work so other can have a go themselves if desired.

graver dyson.JPG

20150101_000053[1].jpg

On 9/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, The Apprentice said:

Hands

Made over this weekend between blogging here in the DIS,

My version of a Trojan war helmet medallion, made from a billet of recycled Sterling silver scraps collected from older projects, this full 2 Troy ounces, measuring 50.00mm deep and 30.00mm wide and 4.00mm thick.

I still have to fit some square cut deep red ruby eyes to him when I can afford them.

20190922_143338

20190922_14301820190922_143059

Apologise for the original pictures being unavailable, this is because I no longer have my flikr account so I lost the original pictures, so here they are again for reference.

Since the first picture I have made another this time with a planished finish which is far easier to keep clean and not show any scratches that might get onto a highly polished surface.

20150101_002141[1].jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlight said:

oh thats nice :classic_smile:

Her husband makes some pretty nice stuff, the pair are very hard workers indeed, their video's are very professional as well, great couple.

• Like 1

A pair of ladies brogue jodhpurs that I made for her indoors, donning Vibram sole units, great for country walking and jotting aroun the garden or ebev going out in, they are fully leather lined.

A few years ago my wife went for an interview at the local manor house for the head house keeper job, and the lady of the house noticed her boots after she took them off and was being shown around so thier polished floors never got marked, and was asked by the owner where did she get the boots from, made by my husband was her answer, it turns out that my wife walks in better made and totally unique footwear that they did, made my day.

20160923_094203.jpg

Edited by The Apprentice
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, I am I said:

Keep it up Apprentice, some good stuff you posted here mate .

Thank you, next year we will be doing a twice weekly thread about our gardens and greehouses, how we grow everything from our own heirloom seed to our store.

And maybe a few give aways on our Vlog.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Thank you, next year we will be doing a twice weekly thread about our gardens and greehouses, how we grow everything from our own heirloom seed to our store.

And maybe a few give aways on our Vlog.

Cool, I'll try and take a look when I can.

Our old vintage Vienna wall clock that I have just finished repairing, when we recieved her many of the smaller fixtures were missing and the beading around the windown were broken and missing, so I hand turned the finials and made my own hand shaper to replicate the glass beading that is unobtainable today.

The hand beader is below which is used by making your own hand shaped cutters to make exact copies of the original, it has come in mighty handy over the years and saved my wallet from needing a professional furniture restorer prices.

20150125_074715.jpg

20160923_105136.jpg

20160923_105151.jpg

Edited by The Apprentice