The Apprentice

Hands and minds thread

My old trusted camping stove that I made many years ago from scraps out brass plate and a tube out of my bits box, she consists of a 100 x 38 mm tube with two brass side frames come feet which are silver soldered into place with a support for the kettle/pan which are simply bent into shape, in the top of the tube are 14 x 1.00mm holes in three rows and a threaded plug to fill it with meths.

To get her going all you do is place a lid from a jam jar or similar under the main tube with a little meths in and light that, as the heat increases the meths begins to boil and self ignites the main burner.

It can boil a pint of water in around three minutes and when it out you can add more and you can go again,

20150102_092605[1].jpg

20150102_092640[1].jpg

Over the last week I have been getting my workshop in a tidier position ready for my winter shoemaking projects like re-soling our footwear that inevitably wears out, so I have been finding the tools for sharpening up for doing the many different proceedures, all the handles are made in house as well as the tool steel blades, some are made from saw blades that others threw away like the first tool, an oyster knife and matching scabbard.

20160925_111550.jpg

20160925_112000.jpg

20150101_011531.jpg

20160925_112154.jpg

20160925_112106.jpg

20160925_112424.jpg

20160925_112433.jpg

• Like 1

I hope this follows along with this thread, but if it doesn't tell me and I will delete it.  I make soap from scratch by mixing oils with lye.  Here are some pictures of my soap.  

Soap pictures.jpg

Soap pictures2.jpg

soap pictures3.jpg

soap pictures4.jpg

• Like 3

Here is an Art Deco style dress necklace I made her indoors for here 30th aniversary, it is made entirely of recycled Sterling silver throughout, to make it I cut out different sizes of discs and left the edges rough cut instead of perfectly round and sanded, then domed each one and then planished each one from the back side to create an uneven surface that catches the light as you move around, it took me a full week to make and assemble.

And a pair of matching earings with the same disc cups and Scotish fresh water pearls

20160923_123033.jpg

20160923_122306.jpg

Edited by The Apprentice
  • Like 2

My practice drum pad and sticks, the base plate for the pad is made from Birchwood plywood and the centre is a disc of sole bend leather 6.00mm thick and held in place using some brass tacks.

The leather pad is fitted in such a way as it is domed at the middle, I achieved this by counter turning an angles shelf at the perifery of the base so that it pulls the edges down and raises the middle.

The sticks are made from locally sourced English Holly from the nearby estate and a local end of life  Apple tree, both really hard timbers for durability, all I need to do now is practice with a freind, who was an Irish Gaurd drummer.

20160925_155530.jpg

20160925_155539.jpg

Silly Minds Time.

The above picture reminds me of the pods in the clip below, exchange the flame thrower for someone with their hand upon the mains switch for the sever.

One man power wynch, some skills for the younger generation to get their teeth into, learn as you work, board and lodging and skills galore.

Edited by The Apprentice

Just puting the finishing touches to a wooden wheel for another Amish Wheelbarrow for here indoors, the current barrow is a little on the large size for here so I'm making one a tad smaller and lighter.

The current version is a mans barrow and can hold five CWT at a push with it'd backboard fitted, the next one in the making will be half of that.

20161011_163322.jpg

barrow.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, The Apprentice said:

Steam powered bycycle, 30 miles per gallon

Give me the steam every time, then you can carry on without electricity and a long air hose.

Cherish our hands and keep our minds.

There is another saying which rings true with many a craftsperson, which says, that a heart that is in love with beauty never grows old, so why not let the beauty we love be what we do and see.

This was something I made a few years ago, it started out as a very old scraper that had a chunk broken out of it. The sheath was my first go at leather working, not up to The Apprentice's skill with leather but I was pleased with it for a 1st effort. 

IMG_1706.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

This was something I made a few years ago, it started out as a very old scraper that had a chunk broken out of it. The sheath was my first go at leather working, not up to The Apprentice's skill with leather but I was pleased with it for a 1st effort. 

IMG_1706.JPG

Cool, the wet forming of the leather is spot on, and the stitching around the front end curve very good as well, I sometimes cheat when I'm making the stitching holes, I wet the leather and then run it through my old singer patcher sewing machine with no thread so the gaps are all the same, and then sew it all up by hand, 10 out of 10 though for having a go.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Apprentice, as i say that was my first go, since then I've made a number of items in leather, mainly hair clips as gifts for people, whish id photographed some of them now as they show how yours skills develop with time and practice.

A spring project, a foot operated piercing jewellers saw drawn out in Solidworks, The frame and platform will be laser cut for accuracy and the rest is turning on the lathe, the unit has a rod and foot pedal down to the floor so you can keep both hands free.

It has a return spring at the top that lifts the green outer frame which holds the cutting blade, the red frame connects to a dovetail bracke on the work bench.

Saw 1.JPG

Edited by The Apprentice