eliteincontrol

Video Games

I want to ask everyone on here their thoughts about playing video games. I do not own a video game console at all. I did once possess a commodore 64 and a early PlayStation however since sold those for cash with all of the games. I believe Video Games Are Bad because they can produce Sedentary behavior, such as playing video games excessively, increasing risk for health problems. These health problems exacerbate the psychological problems caused by playing video games. If you have health problems because of poor diet or exercise the best thing to do is go to the gym. Or go for a long walk, run, jog, etc.

• Like 3

Did used to have ZX Spectrum in the 80's and yeah, when PlayStation came along I was initially "EEEEEEVULLLL!!! IT'S A DISTRACTION!!".

Since then, I did get into the PS2. I love the Silent Hill series. Final Fantasy games are fantastic things to wash over. And as for sedentary, TV and Movies have more of a cause for that. In Gaming, you reach your level and are on your knees in front of the screen going "Oh do fuck off you meddlesome otherworldly big boss type!".

Some games like The Last Of Us are really as good as they say.

But as for modern consoles, not happy about "microtransactions" (what a fucking nonsensical word and concept!) and incomplete games being released.

I hate multiplayer stuff. I prefer it's just me and the world in the game. I don't play every day, and it's been a while since I last sat down to be honest.

But it's what you make of it. Too much oxygen can kill. Kids playing Call of Duty all day might not be healthy but what else is there for them?

I love how they've come along since Pac-Man and as a technological and artistic development the story of Gaming is quite impressive.

Of course, like everything, if you define your culture by the Hawaiian shirt wearing YouTube "guru's" rather than your own preferences and enjoyment, then obviously Gaming can be set up to control and shape opinion.

You do have to step back and laugh how it's just moving dots sometime.

But whatever is going on or coming soon in Gaming, it's still light years ahead of rebooted and sequels to Movies.

I'm what you would call a casual retro gamer. I collect and repair vintage electronic equipment as a hobby and to make a little extra cash, i'm not interested in modern video games, they are far too realistic for my liking. I do have a PS3 or 5:classic_biggrin: but only cos they came in job lots i bought at auction to get other things and only have one setup cos i use it as a bluray player.

I actually get far more pleasure repairing the hardware than I do playing the games.

I believe you are correct that they can produce sedentary behavior and addiction and not just the modern immersive games, PAC_MAN was so addictive that when it first came out in the arcades in japan it caused a shortage of yen coins as they where all inside PAC_MAN cabinets.

I'm off now to fire up the BBC model B and play some Bubble Bobble:classic_rolleyes:

i dont think the 'games machine' is the problem

i think a change of routine can help many problems

I’ve played video games for years but either the games are getting worse or I’m growing up and can’t play them for long without getting bored or wanting to go outside. As for health wise I’m a total fitness freak so will go to the gym and eat properly but some of my friends are fat slobs playing games all day haha. Best single player game for me was Skyrim! However looking back there’s some weird occult shit in it, like when you sacrifice someone to a demon called molag baal... figured that one out a few years later and was like damn that’s dark for a video game

youre getting old seeker.

i was mad for console gaming up to n64 and ps1.

then as i got older all my newer consoles were gathering dust so traded in, never played em.

sons got a switch, i hardly play that.

but lets look at games. all the yearly reboots like fifa, call of duty and so on. they are all pants.

games cost so much to produce they are not developing fresh games as its too big a risk.

Untitled8.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bamboozooka said:

youre getting old seeker.

i was mad for console gaming up to n64 and ps1.

then as i got older all my newer consoles were gathering dust so traded in, never played em.

sons got a switch, i hardly play that.

but lets look at games. all the yearly reboots like fifa, call of duty and so on. they are all pants.

games cost so much to produce they are not developing fresh games as its too big a risk.

Untitled8.jpg

That's why i like my retro stuff, there are indi developers out there still developing games for the old systems even ZX spectrum and C64 games.

• Like 1

Better than TV. Alot of cult games are like hollywood movies containing themes and metaphors that you just dont get on the latest episode of BBC cheap comedy and drama.

Once youve played half life 2 or fallout 3, youve watched the movie. Maybe youll watch it again but your not going to be plagued with new bioligical biz adverts or cultural reprogramming shit in between the good stuff.

Video games are still in their infancy industry wise so you get an idea of gamehouses who are just trying to sell shit quickly. Sam Fisher is just go around and shoot some people, shoot some more people, eat some airfresh chewing gum, now shoot some more people. I wont be buying anymore sam  fisher. It does to gaming what Rambo did to first blood part 1.

I cant stand TV. Even movies from TV are awful due to the zombie effect and you end up with a head full of shit if the ~3hz vibrations send you to sleep and all the crap comes on after the movies done. You fall asleep during a dvd on your PC and theres nothing going on that you dont control there.

At some stage the ancestor thought it was a good idea to invite total strangers into their himes by way of TV and radio and now the worlds hearing angels while relevision cult wants their brainwashed minions to believe their mentally ill when the holy ghost arrives as it always does.

The TV industry has rigged every general election in my lifetime and we are still waiting for the promise of their poluticians to be fulfilled. Jesus was crucified 2000 years ago and Ive seen that old fossil fulfil his promise in my own lifetime ... still waiting on the tv industries polutical muppets to explain how what they are doing isnt slavery.

Theres a video game portal where the player is invited by a machine with no conscience to take part in an experiment where the player cant leave an arena where the machine tries to kill the player while promising the player they will get a delicious and moist cake once they complete the next test... if they survive. As the levels get tougher, the walls of the ratrace for human experimentation have messages scrawled in blood "the cakes a lie".

Once we get our parliament functional again, we can get on with the job of dismantling all the creepy propaganda and surveillance apparatus. They promise.

Did you find yourself confused at a sudden switch in context there? Youre still asleep.

• Like 1

I used to enjoy playing video games when I was younger, I haven't really played any for several years now though.

There was a time when there were a lot of original, ground-breaking games, with interesting stories and situations, and good use of creativity and imagination.

The best ones were always the ones that challenged you mentally, whether it was figuring out puzzles or looking for clues or secrets. Or just really fun to play.

The problem again now is that the video-game 'industry' is driven by money and profit, just like the rest of the entertainment business.

Like with movies, video-games become 'franchises' with endless sequels, reboots and remakes, the same thing over and over again, but with some slightly flashier graphics.

Mobile games are a no-no for me - full of advertising and micro-transactions, even if the games itself is supposedly 'free-to-play'.

I played video games from receiving my first console, an Atari 2600 in the late 80’s, right up to purchasing my own PlayStation 2 with one of my first ever wage packets.

I began to lose interest when I hit late teens and early adulthood.

Many of my ‘friends’ still play to this day (I am now mid 30s) and they play long hours.

I remember once, a few years ago, visiting my friend and when I arrived he was mid game. One of these propaganda games where you are a soldier, and he was quite far into it so was really concentrating; I was watching the screen and every few seconds the screen would show symbols that had nothing to do with the game. It kinda freaked me out.

This friend plays games on a huge screen in a darkened room and over the years has developed major agoraphobia. I am convinced it is for his video game abuse.

• Like 1

i've been watching sim racers quite a bit on youtube.

some of their sim rigs cost 4 times my car.

anyway, i thought it looked fun so when my ps3 died i thought good excuse to buy a 2nd hand ps4, force feedback steering wheel with pedals and a cheap stand.

along with a load of sim racing games.

trawling the web for the best force feedback settings, its fun to play.

then you realise how rubbish you are compared to the sim racers on youtube.

still fun bombing around brands hatch

Untitled8.jpg

love em, its great to unwind having a first person shooter. counter-strike, UT,

notable for me is 'old' games ..back in the day .... were based around dodging , jumping and avoiding things ---donkey kong, manic miner, jet set willy, daley thompsons decathalon, horace, bombjack

there were some shooters -- harrier attack, jetpac

but the vast majority were dodge 'em games

now its all frag em (or as the kids say "kill em") games

even car games evolved into GTA

with regard to children, i find that lads play games more because the 'moving images' act as a placebo for their manic energy

girls tend not to need the buzz and focus on adventure games like pokemon, animal crossing etc

supermario and super mario kart are awesome fun on the wii ...

Edited by zArk

Bioshock #1. Far Cry 4 and Primal, get the owl dropping berserk bombs and float above to serene music while utter carnage erupts below. Great fun. 

Then move in and kill everything that's left. 

17 minutes ago, ink said:

Competition for a 'like' .... name that game?

PkogE27.gif

It's either DOOM, a sequel to DOOM or a game that did a quick DOOM spoof?

My friend was always more into first person stuff.

N64 Goldeneye was fantastic for player against player.

It's always been the third person for me but sure that shot in the quote us from DOOM.

6 minutes ago, hayed joe said:

but sure that shot in the quote us from DOOM

oh .... so close ....but no banana ....  I only ever played 3 games, I think?

Elite

Desent

and .... ?

4 minutes ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

Duke nukum 3d

Classic game

You star .... :)

Takes me back and makes me feel old lol.

i got doom in 93 when I had a 486 sx25 I still had that pc in 96 tried running duke 3D on it and it was horrendous so spent my whole collage summer holiday working on the baggage system at Manchester airport  and by the end saved up enough to pay my car insurance and buy a pentium speck computer so I could finally play duke 3D properly. Then Quake came out so I needed upgrading again lol

3 minutes ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

my whole collage summer holiday

Collage in 96 .... ooh young man :)

I only ever played those three games but I have recently played the new version (created by die hard fans) of Elite called Oolite.

And it is fun :)

9 minutes ago, ink said:

Collage in 96 .... ooh young man :)

I only ever played those three games but I have recently played the new version (created by die hard fans) of Elite called Oolite.

And it is fun :)

I love a bit of elite, I have it on the ZX spectrum and BBC micro, thr BBC version is best.

will have to look into the new version but my pc isn’t really setup for gaming, more for video and audio editing.

Edited by Itsjaybigjay

6 minutes ago, Itsjaybigjay said:

but my pc isn’t really setup for gaming, more for video and audio editing.

Mine isn't jay .... it is setup for coding .... but Oolite is not heavy at all .... it is still old school (some would say shit graphics but for me they are great) and you can add loads of packages, all made by contributors.

I have worked in IT for over 30 years and have been gaming since the early 80s.  I was gaming at a competitive level until a few years ago when it was clear that I was too old to compete with the younger gamers.

Lately I have noticed a political influence in gaming as I am sure many of you have but what concerns me the most is the dire social consequences for young kids in the modern gaming culture.  It seems to me that young people are completely opting out of society to spend their entire lives in virtual worlds.

I feel that they have been lured deliberately by social media and mega corporations who are now investing billions into these companies, and the propaganda around gaming and potential wealth gains is through the roof.  Look at the mail, mirror or any mainstream rag today and you will see that they are promoting this culture more and more.

If you take a look at popular games now such as Destiny, WOW and a multitude of other games you can see that the games are being designed to force the gamer to spend longer and longer in the game to compete.  Also, the main gaming industry metric, often used to categorize a game as a success, is play time!  A game is considered a success if it engages the gamer for as long as possible.  This has also had the effect of causing multiple gaming related deaths and it's categorization as a possible cause of mental health issues.

Is this just the effect of capitalist greed or is it a deliberate attempt to opt out entire generations of intelligent young boys from a society that is actively attempting to replace them?

A huxley quote for context:

"There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution."

Edited by Himmal
  • Like 2