eliteincontrol

Video Games

On 11/4/2019 at 10:10 PM, eliteincontrol said:

I want to ask everyone on here their thoughts about playing video games. I do not own a video game console at all. I did once possess a commodore 64 and a early PlayStation however since sold those for cash with all of the games. I believe Video Games Are Bad because they can produce Sedentary behavior, such as playing video games excessively, increasing risk for health problems. These health problems exacerbate the psychological problems caused by playing video games. If you have health problems because of poor diet or exercise the best thing to do is go to the gym. Or go for a long walk, run, jog, etc.

Our children were still quite young when the home video games first began coming out, and we forbade ours from having such toys at home, we used to go out for long walks in the local area and the Lake District instead,  go hunting and fishing.

When I was younger the only electonic games were the likes of pacman which several local cafes in our town had as low table top versions, I would observe my freinds playing them and saw how they in a very short time would chang stepping out of this one and going into their own little worlds during playing, I could not bare them after trying them myself, as they gave me a headache after a few minutes, I would get myself a hot Vimpto instead and watch the others turning into frustrated and angry entities, sometimes taking many minutes to come back to normal again, even on the way back home they would not be firing correctly.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:41 PM, Itsjaybigjay said:

I'm what you would call a casual retro gamer. I collect and repair vintage electronic equipment as a hobby and to make a little extra cash, i'm not interested in modern video games, they are far too realistic for my liking. I do have a PS3 or 5:classic_biggrin: but only cos they came in job lots i bought at auction to get other things and only have one setup cos i use it as a bluray player.

I actually get far more pleasure repairing the hardware than I do playing the games.

I believe you are correct that they can produce sedentary behavior and addiction and not just the modern immersive games, PAC_MAN was so addictive that when it first came out in the arcades in japan it caused a shortage of yen coins as they where all inside PAC_MAN cabinets.

I'm off now to fire up the BBC model B and play some Bubble Bobble:classic_rolleyes:

Nice times when videogame cabinets existed. My prefer one was Double Dragon.

Videogames can be fun but they have to be played not for long time. Some hour sometimes.

Sometimes I play videogames, little time. On my computer I own a remake of Street of Rage: Street of Rage Remake Version 5, very powerfull. Then I own variuos remakes of Double Dragon, the most welldone is Double Dragon Forever v. 0.91, but it too long, it takes an hour and half, but sometimes it's worth to play with it. I own the original Double Dragon 2 and Vendetta.

I could talk all night about this topic, but I'll try not to for all your sakes :)

I still remember the excitement of playing on a binatone (bat and ball TV game) and then the Atari 2600, harmless and entertaining games. Then a whole new world on the Spectrum, I was blown away when I first played one of those. This time mostly harmless, entertaining games, like manic miner, jet pac, bugaboo the flea, ant attack - happy memories! Games were still very niche, I only had one friend with a spectrum, none of my other mates were interested. Most people thought computer games were a bit sad and nerdy, like train spotting for instance.

Then something big happened that changed everything, the OP's name being a big clue! A game called 'Elite' came out, which I thought looked OK but there were other games higher on my list. Then my older brother came round out of the blue on a Sunday for a rare visit - he was not interested at all in computer games and made fun of me for 'wasting' my time on them. Except now he's heard of a game called Elite and just had to play it, he offered to take me to the shop and buy it there and then. I was gobsmacked, and then I noticed how many other non gamers were talking about it. This was definately the PTB making their first foray into the gaming world in my opinion. A bit obvious and in your face too, starting with the name of course. I'm sure I don't need to tell people on this forum that El is the god of Saturn and a disciple of El is therefore an El ite. The cover of the game says it all too, just take a look:

image.png.57bce4bcc410dd026bc8af6147f8f607.png

So the aim of the game was to progress from a rating of 'harmless' to 'Elite' or disciple of Saturn - interesting aim lol So how was this achieved? By trading in things such as narcotics, slaves and animal furs mostly (the most profitable) in a succession of ships named after snakes, listed here http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Classic_Elite_ships

You start with a default name of Captain Jameson, classic elite name, in a ship called Cobra Mk III.

Then there was witch space, seriously messed up stuff! An insectoid race called Thargoids lived in between hyperspace jumps and could pull you in when you try to make a hyperspace jump. They had their fear galnds removed, had virtually indestructable octagonal ships from which they could release autonomous drones to attack you aswell. It was very, very, rare to survive!

Very good game I have to admit, I guess that was the aim in order to draw you in. I didn't play all that much, got bored and moved on to other games, but I remember many non gaming friends getting into games as a result of Elite. This was followed later by games like Doom, Fifa and many, many clones of 1st person shooters and football sims. Most recently I remember the first time I heard about fortnite I told my son it was one of 'their' games and to watch how crazy everyone was going to go over it, follows the same pattern but seems to be getting more intense each time.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2019 at 4:27 AM, Himmal said:

I have worked in IT for over 30 years and have been gaming since the early 80s.  I was gaming at a competitive level until a few years ago when it was clear that I was too old to compete with the younger gamers.

Lately I have noticed a political influence in gaming as I am sure many of you have but what concerns me the most is the dire social consequences for young kids in the modern gaming culture.  It seems to me that young people are completely opting out of society to spend their entire lives in virtual worlds.

I feel that they have been lured deliberately by social media and mega corporations who are now investing billions into these companies, and the propaganda around gaming and potential wealth gains is through the roof.  Look at the mail, mirror or any mainstream rag today and you will see that they are promoting this culture more and more.

If you take a look at popular games now such as Destiny, WOW and a multitude of other games you can see that the games are being designed to force the gamer to spend longer and longer in the game to compete.  Also, the main gaming industry metric, often used to categorize a game as a success, is play time!  A game is considered a success if it engages the gamer for as long as possible.  This has also had the effect of causing multiple gaming related deaths and it's categorization as a possible cause of mental health issues.

Is this just the effect of capitalist greed or is it a deliberate attempt to opt out entire generations of intelligent young boys from a society that is actively attempting to replace them?

A huxley quote for context:

"There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution."

stuff like this pretty much. Gaming also co opts your sense of reward, blunting real world enthusiasm. Even gaining meaningless experience points can be preserved reward by the brain and an addiction can form. Plus the computer itself is already addicting. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rooey said:

stuff like this pretty much. Gaming also co opts your sense of reward, blunting real world enthusiasm. Even gaining meaningless experience points can be preserved reward by the brain and an addiction can form. Plus the computer itself is already addicting. 

Yes, dopamine hits - they know exactly what they're doing. I remember my older sister warning me about playing games too much when I was younger, she was quite intuitive with what she said, which was that we weren't designed to get so excited so often and it would have a bad effect on my ability to enjoy things in the future. I think she pretty much summed up dopamine addiction there without having a clue that dopamine even existed!

There was a Star trek episode connected to this, they almost take over after getting everyone addicted to playing.

Edited by Silent Bob
  • Like 1

yeah meant to write -experience points can be 'perceived as reward by the brain' . which is part of the addiction

On 11/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, Himmal said:

I have worked in IT for over 30 years and have been gaming since the early 80s.  I was gaming at a competitive level until a few years ago when it was clear that I was too old to compete with the younger gamers.

Lately I have noticed a political influence in gaming as I am sure many of you have but what concerns me the most is the dire social consequences for young kids in the modern gaming culture.  It seems to me that young people are completely opting out of society to spend their entire lives in virtual worlds.

I feel that they have been lured deliberately by social media and mega corporations who are now investing billions into these companies, and the propaganda around gaming and potential wealth gains is through the roof.  Look at the mail, mirror or any mainstream rag today and you will see that they are promoting this culture more and more.

If you take a look at popular games now such as Destiny, WOW and a multitude of other games you can see that the games are being designed to force the gamer to spend longer and longer in the game to compete.  Also, the main gaming industry metric, often used to categorize a game as a success, is play time!  A game is considered a success if it engages the gamer for as long as possible.  This has also had the effect of causing multiple gaming related deaths and it's categorization as a possible cause of mental health issues.

Is this just the effect of capitalist greed or is it a deliberate attempt to opt out entire generations of intelligent young boys from a society that is actively attempting to replace them?

A huxley quote for context:

"There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution."

I agree with you very much.  My ex-husband was addicted to these games to the point that it ruined our marriage.  He would play for 12-14 hours straight, sleep for a few hours, then go to work, to come home and do the same thing again.  Day after day.  

• Like 1

On Monday, November 04, 2019 at 10:10 PM, eliteincontrol said:

I want to ask everyone on here their thoughts about playing video games. I do not own a video game console at all. I did once possess a commodore 64 and a early PlayStation however since sold those for cash with all of the games. I believe Video Games Are Bad because they can produce Sedentary behavior, such as playing video games excessively, increasing risk for health problems. These health problems exacerbate the psychological problems caused by playing video games. If you have health problems because of poor diet or exercise the best thing to do is go to the gym. Or go for a long walk, run, jog, etc.

Hi.  For my two pennith,  I would suggest that while we do know that the brain can be written in an order at a young age, and that an adult can also to a MUCH LESSER DEGREE, I will add that these later brain washings will always revert.

But when it comes down to the health issues involved in sitting on ones bum all day I will suggest that office workers have a greater chance of becoming Ill overy time.  

Sony have sold 155million units worldwide.  These are to mostly adults using the console too so there is hope for the brain issues I mentioned before.

X-box one''s account for around 30million units.  And dito as above.

Office workers in the UK alone sit at their desks between 4-9 hrs a day.  There are more than 10 million.   This is vastly increased around the world.  (Some obviously buy console too)  

Us brits spend an extra amount of time on the consols per week of 7.15 hrs a WEEK.  But world wide it's around 6hrs on average with 18-25 yr olds spending the most time of 7 hrs a WEEK.

I am thinking that the health issues should be aimed at office workers.  

I play at times and I know that I could be running or shooting etc but those guilty thoughts are not my own but come from the myiad voices in the papers or the news networks.

When a tooth rots, it rots from within.  It rots because one eats rubbish and empty sweets.  By not eating meat or veg, the body runs out of what is needed and starts to draw this goodness from places it can spare.  Bones and muscles.  So teeth rot from within.  No amount of brushing will stop that rot.

But I don't think there is too much of an issue with engrammes on the older population. 

• Like 2

I don't play games as much as I used to, but still enjoy them every now and then, mainly to socialize, but I also like the strategic challenge in games like Civilization or Command & Conquer. Some might say it's better to get outside and socialize and I agree, but most of my online friends live in different countries so it's not feasible to meet in real life. I don't want to just abandon them after years being friends either. It gives me an insight to how things are in their countries too.

With gaming being the biggest entertainment industry now, it's full of propaganda like Hollywood and the music industry. It's not so bad if you steer away from AAA games and mainly play indie games though. Indie games are not so generic either.

It's sad that kids don't get out as much as they once did, but where I live you wouldn't want your kids outside with society becoming so hostile.

Getting into game development took the joy out of gaming for me too. It's hard to immerse yourself in something when you're overanalyzing the models, textures, lighting, AI and so on. I just spend my time being overly critical, or thinking how did they create this effect or system, then I spend more time reading about design/development techniques than playing the game.

I will say one thing though, these dopamine driven feedback loops in some of these modern games are very destructive.

Video games poison your mind, slowly numbing your brain and turning you into a zombie (much like television). simple !

Depends what games. There are some pretty based games, but also a lot of crap too. If all gamers were stupid then the likes of Anita Sarkeesian and her propaganda wouldn't be necessary. Stuff like gamergate woke lots of folks up. It's not a passive medium like television either. Obviously some gamers spend far to long on games, that's definitely an issue.

Twitch is something I will never understand though. How boring does your life have to be to sit there and watch someone else play games? I'm probably just showing my age there though.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld

Adventure/puzzle/visual nove typel games can be good for your mind. I dare for anyone to say that Professor Layton games aren't a boon for the logical mind. Pretty much the same goes for Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape series'.

@eliteincontrol tbh most elite sportsmen are in bad shape when they retire due in most part to the required diet of high carbs

these sports fella spend £££ on recovery and treatment

of course sat around doing no physical movement is bad also

variety is good but i dont consider video games in general bad

i could sit around reading libraries of books all day... is that any better than computer gaming? 

snobbby attitudes imo