Golden Retriever

How poor people survive in the USA

A recent documentary about how poor people survive. A lot of these people are in employment, but rents are not regulated in some States, meaning

the owner can hike rents at any time.

I was heartwarming to see dentists and doctors give up their time to treat people who cannot afford consultations and or treatment. The dental hall

was enormous, this is a picture I believe from a different location, Seattle.

14medicaid1-master768.jpg

People received free dental work last month during the Seattle/King County Clinic, a four-day event that also offered free vision care and other health services.

In Richmond, Virginia if a tennant is just 12 days late with the rent,  armed police arrive to evict. 

I don't know if unemployed Americans receive help towards accommoation or not, but the food stamp system appears quite generous. A single

unemployed mother with three children receives $640 per month in food stamps, equivalent to about 500 pounds.

4 hours ago, Golden Retriever said:

A recent documentary about how poor people survive. A lot of these people are in employment, but rents are not regulated in some States, meaning

the owner can hike rents at any time.

I was heartwarming to see dentists and doctors give up their time to treat people who cannot afford consultations and or treatment. The dental hall

was enormous, this is a picture I believe from a different location, Seattle.

14medicaid1-master768.jpg

People received free dental work last month during the Seattle/King County Clinic, a four-day event that also offered free vision care and other health services.

In Richmond, Virginia if a tennant is just 12 days late with the rent,  armed police arrive to evict. 

I don't know if unemployed Americans receive help towards accommoation or not, but the food stamp system appears quite generous. A single

unemployed mother with three children receives $640 per month in food stamps, equivalent to about 500 pounds.

The USA has "affordable" housing that lower income people can rent, and SOME of those rents can be based on income.  BUT...that is so few and far between that maybe 20-30 households or less in one town is considered affordable housing/income based.  SO, rent could be between 500-1500 dollars for a single two bedroom apartment. 

MOST houses are not income based because it is hard for a landlord to get accepted for affordable housing due to the rules and regs that they have to follow.  So, although the single mother may get $650.00 in food stamps, that does not cover paper products, cleaning products, sanitary products, nor clothing.  It literally only covers food.  This is why MOST people that get food stamps also work. 

There is a small percentage that get SSI or TANF and food stamps although, TANF is a short term plan, as most states have a two year limit to getting it, where as SSI is usually for people that have worked less than the amount needed to get full disability but yet, are still considered disabled.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Change2 said:

The USA has "affordable" housing that lower income people can rent, and SOME of those rents can be based on income.  BUT...that is so few and far between that maybe 20-30 households or less in one town is considered affordable housing/income based.  SO, rent could be between 500-1500 dollars for a single two bedroom apartment. 

MOST houses are not income based because it is hard for a landlord to get accepted for affordable housing due to the rules and regs that they have to follow.  So, although the single mother may get $650.00 in food stamps, that does not cover paper products, cleaning products, sanitary products, nor clothing.  It literally only covers food.  This is why MOST people that get food stamps also work. 

There is a small percentage that get SSI or TANF and food stamps although, TANF is a short term plan, as most states have a two year limit to getting it, where as SSI is usually for people that have worked less than the amount needed to get full disability but yet, are still considered disabled.  

Thanks for that information. 

$650 per month on food alone for one adult and three children (when I believe food prices are relatively low) is imo a lot of money.  The system

should allow them to buy essential toiletries and cleaning products with that allowance.

12 minutes ago, Golden Retriever said:

$650 per month on food alone for one adult and three children (when I believe food prices are relatively low) is imo a lot of money.  The system

should allow them to buy essential toiletries and cleaning products with that allowance.

650 a month may seem like a lot, but the cost of groceries in some areas are exorbitant.  Fresh fruits, vegetables and meat are very expensive where I live, and I live in a small town in Indiana.  If people could go back to planting, picking and  making their own from scratch, it would be much better for everyone involved but it seems that no one has the time or energy.    

To answer this question "I don't know if unemployed Americans receive help towards accommoation or not..."

It depends, if they have enough unemployment insurance built up, then they can get unemployment, if not, then they get nothing.   They could get TANF as long as they have NO money or assets basically.  Heck, even if you have a newer car, that counts against you, but I am not sure how.  This is why the whole "welfare queen" is a myth.  

On top of the whole public housing aka affordable housing, you have to deal with things that no good single parent should have to deal with.  I lived in an apartment after getting out with my ex that was in the same apartments as affordable housing, meaning some the government subsidizes, some aren't government subsidized.   My next door neighbor was constantly getting banged up by her partner, meth permeated the buildings, and a meth head crawled in my bedroom window while I was sitting in my room.  I had to knock on my neighbors door more than once to save her, once I had a bat with me because I was afraid he would attack me.  He started to yell at me then saw my oldest son step out in the hallway.  He didn't look cross at me after that. lol  I took their kids in more than once also because the she was hopped up on something or another.  Half the time I lived there, she didn't have electricity  or water in her apartment and was stealing off the hallway outlet.  

15 hours ago, Golden Retriever said:

You're asking "the system" to fix problems that where created by the system in the first place

Edited by Logos
  • Like 1

US is a shit-hole so. My Italy is not put better however (except for the healthcare system).

Edited by alfredo79
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, alfredo79 said:

US is a shit-hole so. My Italy is not put better however (except for the healthcare system).

same here in croatia......and now they are trying to privatise healthcare to 

The US is leading the worldwide agenda of Neoliberalism. That is the mass austerity, mass privatization, and mass tax cuts of billionaires, as well ass mass deregulation of business and banks. This agenda must be fought aggressively anywhere it pops up.

This agenda has been going on since the 1980s, and what it is, is an attack on Social Democracy worldwide.

A move from "compassionate" capitalism towards the more negative aspects of "free markets".

This agenda is being lead by the far right wing.

Even so called "progressive" political parties are nothing but undercover neoliberals, which again is right wing economics.

In America Bill Clinton and Barak Obama were fully on board with this right wing neoliberal agenda.

Clinton helped to destroy welfare and deregulate the banks. Although much of this was due to pressure from the right wing Congress. Likewise Obama continued Bush's bank bailouts and passed a right wing healthcare bill written by the Heritage foundation.

The right wing agenda is full steam ahead and Trump is doing great work for the oligarchs and bankers. Their agenda is chaos and economic instability for working people.

The only way to temporarily stop this agenda is to support people like Sanders and Corbyn. The shills will tell you "they're all the same"  but that isn't true. Ignore these people at your own peril, because your apathy and indifference is what these elites pushing neoliberalism are counting on. They will destroy your economies and standard of living.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vancity Eagle said:

The US is leading the worldwide agenda of Neoliberalism. That is the mass austerity, mass privatization, and mass tax cuts of billionaires, as well ass mass deregulation of business and banks. This agenda must be fought aggressively anywhere it pops up.

This agenda has been going on since the 1980s, and what it is, is an attack on Social Democracy worldwide.

The only way to temporarily stop this agenda is to support people like Sanders and Corbyn. The shills will tell you "they're all the same"  but that isn't true. Ignore these people at your own peril, because your apathy and indifference is what these elites pushing neoliberalism are counting on. They will destroy your economies and standard of living.

neoliberalism isn't about hoarding the wealth for the sake of it

it is about moving society towards the technocracy. THAT is the conspiracy

people like corbyn and sanders support the green new deal and political correctness which is all part of the remoulding of society towards the technocracy

they are not against neoliberalism. they are its agents ready to move it towards it next phase

3 minutes ago, muir said:

neoliberalism isn't about hoarding the wealth for the sake of it

it is about moving society towards the technocracy. THAT is the conspiracy

people like corbyn and sanders support the green new deal and political correctness which is all part of the remoulding of society towards the technocracy

they are not against neoliberalism. they are its agents ready to move it towards it next phase

Neoliberalism is about causing chaos, so they can then step in with their "solution". It is also a philosophy of social darwinism, and they want "useless eaters" to die off. This is why they attack the welfare state and social democracy.

Sanders and Corbyn are absolutely stemming the tide of this neoliberal agenda. They are not the end solution for sure, but at this time in history they are the necessary first step to get humanity back on track.

You dont believe so then watch where the fascists currently in power will take us. You won't even be able to speak out without being arrested or dissapeared. That is the model they have used worldwide, usually in third world countries, but its comming soon to a first world country near you. People like you want this because you think it's some great victory for"white people"  You will be screwed in the end. These people are open authoritarians. You want the quickest way to "technocracy" then do nothing to stop these fascists you continue to support.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vancity Eagle said:

Neoliberalism is about causing chaos, so they can then step in with their "solution". It is also a philosophy of social darwinism, and they want "useless eaters" to die off. This is why they attack the welfare state and social democracy.

no neoliberalism is about MOVING THE WEALTH into the hands of the cabal

this allows them to buy up the assets so that they are de facto in complete control. From there it is a short step to enshrining their control in law

Sanders and Corbyn are absolutely stemming the tide of this neoliberal agenda. They are not the end solution for sure, but at this time in history they are the necessary first step to get humanity back on track.

No they ARE the next step of the conspiracy

You dont believe so then watch where the fascists currently in power will take us. You won't even be able to speak out without being arrested or dissapeared. That is the model they have used worldwide, usually in third world countries, but its comming soon to a first world country near you. People like you want this because you think it's some great victory for"white people"  You will be screwed in the end. These people are open authoritarians. You want the quickest way to "technocracy" then do nothing to stop these fascists you continue to support.

no that is what a STATE does that over-reaches its power

the state is controlled by the neoliberal cartels that are behind the green new deal that corbyn and sanders want

Just because i am against them does not mean i support another wing of the dialectic

The conspiracy needs to find a way to take society to the next step so they need a crisis and corbyn and sanders are providing that crisis in pushing the manmade climate change agenda and the need to remould society to combat 'social injustice'

I am ALL FOR changing society but what these guys will do is the elites form of change NOT grass roots change

4 hours ago, Vancity Eagle said:

A move from "compassionate" capitalism towards the more negative aspects of "free markets".

This agenda is being lead by the far right wing.

Even so called "progressive" political parties are nothing but undercover neoliberals, which again is right wing economics.

In America Bill Clinton and Barak Obama were fully on board with this right wing neoliberal agenda.

Clinton helped to destroy welfare and deregulate the banks. Although much of this was due to pressure from the right wing Congress. Likewise Obama continued Bush's bank bailouts and passed a right wing healthcare bill written by the Heritage foundation.

The right wing agenda is full steam ahead and Trump is doing great work for the oligarchs and bankers. Their agenda is chaos and economic instability for working people.

Lol @ the only way to stop this is to support Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn 

For the love of God ......