LT_L

Do jobs matter ?

I'm quite young and want to know if Jobs actually matter. School makes jobs out to be a massive deal when in my head I don't want to work for someone. I'm looking for advice from some older people who have had jobs and know more about this than me. 

• Like 3

Yes its very important to getting the things you want out of life.

I would recommend learning a Trade. 

If you don't want to work for someone you get to be self-employed.

First thing you will need to do is to learn a bit of accountancy - cash flow is king, knowing what is making money knowing what is losing money is very useful info.

Learn a bit of contract law too so you don't get shafted by whoever you are doing business with.

And then... What to do you want to be self employed at?

You could learn to make guitars and be a luthier.

You could be a currency trader.

You could be an actor. etc etc etc. Fancy your chances as a novelist?

You could decide not to work hard for a living but to stay poor with a minimum of possessions.

I know people that made that choice and they do not regret it.

I got a BSc in Electronic Engineering and worked at various places in Europe and Asia, did very well thank you and I am now winding down ready for retirement.

Would I make the same choice if I was young now? Probably not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LT_L said:

I'm quite young and want to know if Jobs actually matter. School makes jobs out to be a massive deal when in my head I don't want to work for someone. I'm looking for advice from some older people who have had jobs and know more about this than me. 

Well I'm afraid within the boundaries of our current 'system', jobs do matter, as its the only way to earn money so you can pay for things like rent, food, clothes etc.

And also don't expect to walk out of school straight into a high-paying executive job. I've had several jobs in my lifetime, and I started at the bottom, and have worked hard to finally have the job that I have now, which I wouldn't give up for any other. But you do have to start somewhere, it doesn't happen straight away.

Unless you've got some unique skill or talent that you can use to earn money by working for yourself, you will likely have to work for someone else first. But use that time to learn skills, gain experience and an understanding of business, and then make it your goal to work for yourself, then you have something positive to aim towards.

Too many people leave school with few or no qualifications, and end up in low-paid 'dead end' jobs (flipping burgers, stacking shelves, packing parcels etc), believing that is all they are capable of doing. But I don't believe that, however it is up to the individual to WANT to strive and better themselves.

As others have already pointed out, unless you want to be a doctor, nurse or astrophysicist, don't waste your time (and money) going to university, find an apprenticeship somewhere and learn a skill or trade. That will stand you much better for the future, and opens up your self-employment opportunity; automation is going to make many jobs redundant in the future, but don't forget people will always need plumbers, electricians, builders etc...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LT_L said:

The best advice I can give you is,

In this world and all there is science, I think it is best to be multi tasking using a sellection of different real life skills, ones that you actually enjoy and or are interested in, then if one avenue fails to provide you with the basic things for survival any one or more of the rest can fill in for any pitfalls that you are likely to encounter during your better/younger years.

This is what we have done here and after the first ten years it gets much better, and those skills will enable you to breath and adjust to make much needed savings.

2 hours ago, Jane Smith said:

Speak to a careers advisor

I have done that a couple months ago back in september. during the summer i had a job with my brother fixing jet skis, he would do that while we would go to this guy who is 3 hours away picking up one for me and then taking it back to our shop for me to strip apart. What put me of the job is that how dirty the jet skis where. I honestly couldn't stand the smell and touching all this gunk within these jet skis. being small too doesn't make it easier since i had to climb inside them and get my uniform stinking and also my long hair disgusting. I quit that apprenticeship and reassured me that if my life doesn't go the way i want it to go  i have a job available for him. which to be honestly i don't want to do that for the rest of my life. 

but anyway. the career adviser i spoke to legit didn't help at all. she gave me little information and lacked information to tell me, that shocked me as her job is to give people career advice. she had never heard about a marine engineering apprenticeship before. 

1 hour ago, gregory-peccary said:

If you don't want to work for someone you get to be self-employed.

First thing you will need to do is to learn a bit of accountancy - cash flow is king, knowing what is making money knowing what is losing money is very useful info.

Learn a bit of contract law too so you don't get shafted by whoever you are doing business with.

And then... What to do you want to be self employed at?

You could learn to make guitars and be a luthier.

You could be a currency trader.

You could be an actor. etc etc etc. Fancy your chances as a novelist?

You could decide not to work hard for a living but to stay poor with a minimum of possessions.

I know people that made that choice and they do not regret it.

I got a BSc in Electronic Engineering and worked at various places in Europe and Asia, did very well thank you and I am now winding down ready for retirement.

Would I make the same choice if I was young now? Probably not.

i am quite good with computers. after highschool me only having 4 and a half months left (at the time of this post) I may go to college and redo courses and also learn more about computers. Knowing computers will be a big part of our future i may end up applying for a course in computer science, i have only coded a little in my life but learning more sounds interesting, i think its i lack motivation in my life to do stuff i want to do, i get lazy and put things to the side. 

3 hours ago, bamboozooka said:

get an apprenticeship and learn a trade.

do not go to uni.

Untitled8.jpg

I've tried to learn a trade before for several months but i wasn't too keen on it, i didn't like working long hours for several days and only being paid £50 since i would have little free time but it was fun, me and my brother would jam out to music while i slowly but surely got used to using the tools. i feel bad because he bought me my own gear which was quite expensive but i end up quitting. 

if you scroll up i talked about my apprenticeship in more detail. 

i have a question, what is that photo that says "badge of honor" 

To have a job is important for a matter of surviving. Then one can see the work as a way to improve, to give a sense to the live, for personal realization: it's a subjective matter but one time inserted in the labour world you might feel certain aims that before you did not feel.

It's difficult for me to give advices also because the things can change country by country. However, in my country, Italy, the most decisive mathod to get decent jobs where you have decent wages and human working conditions is the political raccomandation or to know the right persons, so you should invest in social knowledges.

Reguard university, if you don't have clear ideas, leave!

Getting a job is important if you want to achieve something in your life. Learning a trade is the most ideal way. And even better if you just consult to career advisor.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, LT_L said:

I've tried to learn a trade before for several months but i wasn't too keen on it, i didn't like working long hours for several days and only being paid £50 since i would have little free time but it was fun, me and my brother would jam out to music while i slowly but surely got used to using the tools. i feel bad because he bought me my own gear which was quite expensive but i end up quitting.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:34 PM, LT_L said:

i am quite good with computers. after highschool me only having 4 and a half months left (at the time of this post) I may go to college and redo courses and also learn more about computers. Knowing computers will be a big part of our future i may end up applying for a course in computer science, i have only coded a little in my life but learning more sounds interesting, i think its i lack motivation in my life to do stuff i want to do, i get lazy and put things to the side. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I see some of your comments as what I believe is 'wrong' with a lot of young people these days.

'Millenials' have grown up being used to having what they want 'on demand', and as a result many lack any kind of 'attention span', or any desire to put time and effort into something if they don't get a 'reward' right away (otherwise known as 'instant gratification').

My first job, I worked hard and long hours in a shop selling car parts, which I had no experience of doing. I was useless at first and made lots of mistakes, and I was earning about £100 a week. But I was willing to put in the effort and learn from my more experienced colleagues, and within five years I was the assistant manager there. Within twenty years, I had become quite an experienced 'partsman', and had no trouble getting jobs at bigger companies and earning much better salaries.

And all this despite the fact that I never passed a driving test, and have no real interest in cars!

From what you've since revealed, as you seem to have an interest in computers, it sounds to me like you should pursue this, and look into learning about coding and programming, as that will also be an extremely useful skill to have in the future.

When I was at college, I really didn't have any idea of what I wanted to do with my life, I was good with languages so allowed myself to be coerced into studying Latin and Ancient Greek, but my real interest at the time was computers. I don't have any regrets really about how my life has panned out, but now I work in ecommerce and online retail, I am realising now that I may have studied the wrong kinds of language at college. 😉

• Like 1

If you want to eat, survive and have a roof over your head and stay warm you 'have' to work for the Corporate Elites ,, ie the Billionaire bloodlines that control everything.

Yep ,, a bleak gloomy picture of true reality ,, the rich get richer by using all their $$$$$$$$$$$$ to exploit the slave humans to make them more $$$$$$$$ and giving them more power. Hence the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

You will be fine if ,, a) You have rich parents ,, or b) You win the lotto ,, or c) You are a genius and the elites are prepared to pay you huge amounts of money for making them richer ,,

I was watching an interesting documentary recently about a Racing Car Driver who has won loads of stuff and gone to the top of his profession ,, $$$$

He said when he started his father had to sell stuff to help him pursue his career ,, And ,, his main point was ,, when he said ''No working class kid today could ever succeed in becoming a world class racing driver'' ,, It takes lots of money to become successful, (There are exceptions).

I went into the NHS because I thought I would be 'helping people' ,, 👀 ,, It's interesting but ultimately now ,, all healthcare is privatised ,, Hence Yep ,, the rich get richer. And the 'rich' always wanna 'cut back on costs' and make their slaves work harder and harder for less!

This is a spiritual journey we are on ,, and you meet some amazing people on the journey. But ,, ultimately ,, those that control the money control the whole planet. They are the ones deforesting jungles in order to plant Palm trees so they can get richer!! Then they blame Climate Change and get even richer from Carbon Taxes!

And ,, I'd probably be happy being a Millennial if I was zombied and addicted my phone and sleeping in the concrete jungle of exploitation ,, ! So many Movies to watch ,, so many series to binge on ,, so many sex sites to join ,, so many YT vids to see ,, so many Selfies to take ,, so many selfies to look at ,, so much stuff to do ,, so little time ,,!!!!! ,,

Tumblr_mvvwp4QVau1qhcrb0o1_1280bb_zpsih9

Edited by jupiter12

Latin? What's wrong with latin? Did us good to learn it!

Learning coding won't harm but they can out-source your job overseas in a matter of hours.

The company I work for now out-sources a lot of coding to the Czech Republic and India.

Installation and maintenance cannot be out-sourced. Fancy being a plumber or electrician?

Train driver - very well paid if you can get in.

The NHS will get you a job for life with added hassles - choose what you do for them wisely! The NHS have quite a few number-crunching jobs using SQL and Excel if you fancy it.

be a market trader. the sort selling cheap t shirts in a town centre.

minimal outlay, get some good wholesalers.

councils will give you a stall free for a year.

just need public liability insurance.

do a part time book keeping course.

working for yourself on a budget.

Untitled8.jpg

On 12/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, LT_L said:

No, jobs are not important if they involve working for someone else.

Learning a trade, or other skills which you can use to earn money, like a web developer, joiner or plumber are great, especially if you learn business skills too.

Working for other people is valuable in gaining experience, but, ultimately it is soul destroying, in my opinion.

I have had many different jobs in my life, my best one was my very first one where I spent almost seven years as an engineer for a local bussiness who are still there doing things the only way they know how, then keen for adventure I joined the army to see the world and did that with great glee, it really opened my eyes to how easily people are compartmentalized by the MIC and complex machine.

Luckily for me I had already gained a trade but many of the younger boys came in green as a cabage and most left just as green behind the ears, my time there was one of observation and a keen eye for anything new, and why I applied for the medical paradigm, which took me off of the street and the biting cold of the Belfast and religious hell in the deep of winter, and mundane heart wrenching visions of a world in freefall along the famous Falls Road, and relative freedom out and about giving medical cover in the rugged beauty of the Armagh countryside in summer time.

After my time was up, I was thrust back into society and entered at a time when everything had almost gone where a life time job could be gained, it was a sharp shock in many ways and with a young family to feed and clothe and now in my late twenties it made me grow up rather quickly indeed.

I has little choice but to work for myself on many occasions, as regular employment had become a slavery plantation, by the time our sons were ready to go their own ways we made sure they gained at least one real life trade before our days as a hard worker before the heady years of youth began closing by the year.

Then we both went on the hunt for new real life skills that would compliment the ones we already had, it took another ten years to amass what we were realy interested in, then I began training my own group of wolrd wide students in the new found trials and tribulations gain in those highly interesting years.

I can say with surity that all of the minds who came and mixed with what I had to offer went on to be very successful craftsmen and women in their own right, so my message is and always has been, re-skill, do it today, don't wait until we are true slave workers to a state upon steroids, because one only has themselves to blame if they do nothing today for your tomorrows.

With all the hard work out of the way once your hand to eye coordination is in the trim, you will fair a much better chance than those who are stuck behind an ideology, which will eat away at your soul like a nuclear winter in the making, you are better off having less working for yourself than working for someone else for nothing .

Just abOve Broke, or JOB is what you will be, without real life skills.

Edited by The Apprentice
  • Like 1

As long as an individual is 'fit' to work and is able make more money for the elites they are ok ,, 

But ,, if an individual becomes disabled or sick ,, they become ,, as David has described ,, 'Useless Eaters'' ,, ie your only worth is what you can bring to make the rich elite richer.

The elites have always been powerful due to all their war ravaged and stolen conquests ,, historically ,, hence all the massive castles globally.

It's nothing new ,, They are just getting more powerful with every new law they enforce to keep the slaves in order ,, And to keep those that dare to be 'independently self sufficient' in a state of 'survival' mode.

Edited by jupiter12

On 12/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, LT_L said:

There was an article on some website recently saying that british youngsters feel they have little purpose or meaning in their lives

When we look at famous celebrities who are said to have achieved 'success' by becoming rich and famous we often see that they weren't actually happy. Many of them were popping pills to get by and were essentially creating an inauthentic persona that they wore for the public on stage

It would appear that there are very wealthy people who will pay performers large sums of money to compromise their artistic integrity. They will get them to advertise some sort of corporate product or sing a song about some sort of social engineering issue or just behave like a dancing monkey that doesn't think for itself but instead become little more than  a marionette whose life is utterly controlled by others. often in the case of these people no amount of money or fame seems to prevent them from becoming miserable, bloated, paranoid and often dying young such is the world they created for themself

The devil always gets in the door by offering money.

So clearly when we consider all of this and we try to understand what can bring lasting happiness we realise that we need something other than money or fame. Don't get me wrong money certainly helps to ride out the bumps of life and a shortage of money can also bring stress and unhappiness but the point i'm making is that large sums of money alone don't always seem to make a lot of people happy

So perhaps having meaning and purpose is a key factor when we consider how we want to make a living because the reality is that we are probably going to be spending much of our time doing that thing.

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 1:53 PM, LT_L said:

Jobs only matter if you need one!  We need to understand what you want out of life!  You can be guided by individuals in life that click with you and from there you forward to the next desire.

If I could do it all again, I would learn the needed things like sciences, biology, history, English, mathematics, home sciences, foods and a few others, but I would not waste my time learning histories that don't effect me or an art or drama that is subjective.  If I had think of all the times I sat in class learning stuff I had zoro interest or need in, I would go nuts.

You are now at a time that you know what interests you so start asking questions about how to get closer to those things.

What do you want to do?

20 hours ago, gregory-peccary said:

Latin? What's wrong with latin? Did us good to learn it!

Learning coding won't harm but they can out-source your job overseas in a matter of hours.

The company I work for now out-sources a lot of coding to the Czech Republic and India.

Installation and maintenance cannot be out-sourced. Fancy being a plumber or electrician?

Train driver - very well paid if you can get in.

The NHS will get you a job for life with added hassles - choose what you do for them wisely! The NHS have quite a few number-crunching jobs using SQL and Excel if you fancy it.

Working for the NHS is a bad thing. my brother went to the doctors today and they said that they are all going on strike tomorrow. (time of this reply)

1 minute ago, Tom bombadil said:

Jobs only matter if you need one!  We need to understand what you want out of life!  You can be guided by individuals in life that click with you and from there you forward to the next desire.

If I could do it all again, I would learn the needed things like sciences, biology, history, English, mathematics, home sciences, foods and a few others, but I would not waste my time learning histories that don't effect me or an art or drama that is subjective.  If I had think of all the times I sat in class learning stuff I had zoro interest or need in, I would go nuts.

You are now at a time that you know what interests you so start asking questions about how to get closer to those things.

What do you want to do?

I'm quite good with computers, i may go into college to do computer science when i leave high school. i have read through several replies on my post and i dont want to work a physical labour job. 

1 minute ago, LT_L said:

Working for the NHS is a bad thing. my brother went to the doctors today and they said that they are all going on strike tomorrow. (time of this reply)

Being a medic will save lives.  Learning dietary requirements is a means to not ever need a medic.  Surgery is different so there's that!

The question's are, why are they needing to strike?  Why does your Bro need them?  What might you different?

4 hours ago, muir said:

There was an article on some website recently saying that british youngsters feel they have little purpose or meaning in their lives

When we look at famous celebrities who are said to have achieved 'success' by becoming rich and famous we often see that they weren't actually happy. Many of them were popping pills to get by and were essentially creating an inauthentic persona that they wore for the public on stage

It would appear that there are very wealthy people who will pay performers large sums of money to compromise their artistic integrity. They will get them to advertise some sort of corporate product or sing a song about some sort of social engineering issue or just behave like a dancing monkey that doesn't think for itself but instead become little more than  a marionette whose life is utterly controlled by others. often in the case of these people no amount of money or fame seems to prevent them from becoming miserable, bloated, paranoid and often dying young such is the world they created for themself

The devil always gets in the door by offering money.

So clearly when we consider all of this and we try to understand what can bring lasting happiness we realise that we need something other than money or fame. Don't get me wrong money certainly helps to ride out the bumps of life and a shortage of money can also bring stress and unhappiness but the point i'm making is that large sums of money alone don't always seem to make a lot of people happy

So perhaps having meaning and purpose is a key factor when we consider how we want to make a living because the reality is that we are probably going to be spending much of our time doing that thing.

I totally agree with what you just said.