Stephen Truth Seeker

What to do if you become HOMELESS

14 hours ago, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

If you know you might be homeless soon try and have a plan...

Carry a sleeping bag and some spare clothes and maybe a tent with sleeping mat...

Yay..:)

When I got out of prison in 2002 (3 month vigilante rap) the council evicted me on the strength of my "anti-social" sentence so I simply lived in a tent in a wood for a while but kept my sense of humour.

"Oh great" I thought, "I've ended up as Bigfoot"..:)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

Yeah I've had to walk around with a case full of dirty clothes and had to boil water out of the river to make a hot drink. I've done the shopping trolley thing as well taking it into the Library. Slept along side the rats and had people burn holes in my camping equipment etc..

I am sorry to hear that you're street homeless at the moment, particularly at this time of year. It sounds as though you have the right idea as to how to manage practically on the streets but can I ask if you have made a homelessness application to your Local Authority? I don't know your circumstances but your Local Authority would have a duty to place you in emergency accommodation if you appear to be:

1) Homeless

2) Eligible for assistance (I assume you're a British citizen?) and;

3) In priority need - this applies mostly to people with health issues or dependent children.

Should the above appear to apply (it's a relatively low threshold to meet), you should be placed in emergency accommodation - B&B probably - whilst the Local Authority then further considers the above tests along with two other tests:

4) Whether you have intentionally made yourself homeless - for example, not paid your rent without good cause and;

5) Whether you have a local connection to the borough / district - for example, whether you lived, have family or work within it. If not, your case should be referred to a borough / district where you do have a local connection.

Should you satisfy all the tests, the Local Authority should then keep you in temporary accommodation until long term accommodation can be found for you. This usually involves applying for the housing register and bidding on properties which can take some time.

Every Local Authority should have an out of hours service available 24/7 for people who need access to emergency accommodation. The contact details should be available on the Council's website.

Many Councils can be guilty of 'gatekeeping' and putting people off from making an actual homelessness application. If you think that the first 3 points apply to you at least, then I would suggest that you insist on making an application if you have not already done so.

Even if there is doubt over whether you pass the tests, it would be worth a visit to the Local Authority to see if they have any other way in which they could help you such as a deposit bond for private rented accommodation and helping you apply for the housing register (if you haven't already done so). Some areas may also have charities who may be able to provide housing or help accessing it. It could also be worth having a chat with Shelter - here's the link to the homelessness part of the Shelter website: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness.

Edited by Mitochondrial Eve
  • Like 1

Where are all the Religious leaders and rich church people when it comes to homeless people?

Society regresses whilst the rich get richer. That is ,, those that are poor regress! Because the rich vampires don't wanna spend their $$$$ to help those in need.

The Catholics are loaded ,, ! Why aren't they practising what they preach and 'love' each other ,, ? eg ,, take care of the poor ,, the homeless etc,,,,,

My local Sainsburys does as much as Religious groups coz they have a food bank donation box ,, which at least helps feed the hungry in these times of extreme austerity and benefit cuts.

And I've seen all the TV ads at Xmas 'Donate to help the homeless at Xmas' ,, Yeah! they mean donate to make the CEO's of their organisations richer.

And ,, if you donate you can actually buy a homeless person an Xmas dinner and a roof over their head for a day!? Wow! What about the other 364 days of the year.

I watched a debate between Russell Brand and Nigel Farage a while ago ,, and I used to think they had similar views ,, but Russell did highlight the fact that there IS plenty of money around ,, but the billionaires in control refuse to share it and that Politicians always blame 'poverty and austerity and cuts' on the jobless and those in need of social care and the elderly etc,,,,,,

So,, there must be trillions and trillions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ harvested and locked in banks around the world ,, but the rich refuse to help the poor ,, It must be their reptilian brain darkside, ! 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jupiter12 said:

Where are all the Religious leaders and rich church people when it comes to homeless people?

Society regresses whilst the rich get richer. That is ,, those that are poor regress! Because the rich vampires don't wanna spend their $$$$ to help those in need.

The Catholics are loaded ,, ! Why aren't they practising what they preach and 'love' each other ,, ? eg ,, take care of the poor ,, the homeless etc,,,,,

My local Sainsburys does as much as Religious groups coz they have a food bank donation box ,, which at least helps feed the hungry in these times of extreme austerity and benefit cuts.

And I've seen all the TV ads at Xmas 'Donate to help the homeless at Xmas' ,, Yeah! they mean donate to make the CEO's of their organisations richer.

And ,, if you donate you can actually buy a homeless person an Xmas dinner and a roof over their head for a day!? Wow! What about the other 364 days of the year.

I watched a debate between Russell Brand and Nigel Farage a while ago ,, and I used to think they had similar views ,, but Russell did highlight the fact that there IS plenty of money around ,, but the billionaires in control refuse to share it and that Politicians always blame 'poverty and austerity and cuts' on the jobless and those in need of social care and the elderly etc,,,,,,

So,, there must be trillions and trillions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ harvested and locked in banks around the world ,, but the rich refuse to help the poor ,, It must be their reptilian brain darkside, ! 

They have the same money they always have they just enjoy brainwashing the masses by telling them it's all gone.

Edited by Stephen Truth Seeker
Spelling

1 hour ago, Mitochondrial Eve said:

I am sorry to hear that you're street homeless at the moment, particularly at this time of year. It sounds as though you have the right idea as to how to manage practically on the streets but can I ask if you have made a homelessness application to your Local Authority? I don't know your circumstances but your Local Authority would have a duty to place you in emergency accommodation if you appear to be:

1) Homeless

2) Eligible for assistance (I assume you're a British citizen?) and;

3) In priority need - this applies mostly to people with health issues or dependent children.

Should the above appear to apply (it's a relatively low threshold to meet), you should be placed in emergency accommodation - B&B probably - whilst the Local Authority then further considers the above tests along with two other tests:

4) Whether you have intentionally made yourself homeless - for example, not paid your rent without good cause and;

5) Whether you have a local connection to the borough / district - for example, whether you lived, have family or work within it. If not, your case should be referred to a borough / district where you do have a local connection.

Should you satisfy all the tests, the Local Authority should then keep you in temporary accommodation until long term accommodation can be found for you. This usually involves applying for the housing register and bidding on properties which can take some time.

Every Local Authority should have an out of hours service available 24/7 for people who need access to emergency accommodation. The contact details should be available on the Council's website.

Many Councils can be guilty of 'gatekeeping' and putting people off from making an actual homelessness application. If you think that the first 3 points apply to you at least, then I would suggest that you insist on making an application if you have not already done so.

Even if there is doubt over whether you pass the tests, it would be worth a visit to the Local Authority to see if they have any other way in which they could help you such as a deposit bond for private rented accommodation and helping you apply for the housing register (if you haven't already done so). Some areas may also have charities who may be able to provide housing or help accessing it. It could also be worth having a chat with Shelter - here's the link to the homelessness part of the Shelter website: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness.

I'm not a priority to them. They couldn't gaurantee me a room in a YMCA. It was like dealing with people from the job centre again.

52 minutes ago, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

They have the same money they always have they just enjoy brainwashing the masses by telling them it's all gone.

Just like Politicians ,, lies and deception ,, 

I'm sure loads of 'religious' people do a lot to help the homeless and poor ,, but that makes it about the poor feeding the poor. Just like an ancient British prime minister used to harp on about ,, 'The Big Society' ,, 'Let the poor care for the poor' ,, Was it Mr Major or Mr Blair ,, ! Can't remember ,, it's all bs anyway! 

Meanwhile back at the Gold Lined Vatican ,, the Rich Pope and his minions continue to preach their religion to the gullible masses!

Edited by jupiter12
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

I'm not a priority to them. They couldn't gaurantee me a room in a YMCA. It was like dealing with people from the job centre again.

It sounds as though they do not consider you to have priority need which would be wrong if you have a serious health condition or disability and could be challenged with medical evidence. They should have at least completed a personal housing plan with you with a view to helping you find somewhere to live even if they can't provide emergency / temporary accommodation - I hope they have done this.

You might be able to self refer to a night shelter or winter shelter instead - you can search for one on the following link:

https://www.homeless.org.uk/search-homelessness-services

Some shelters do need a referral from a Council or advice agency, however. Therefore, apparently it's best to phone the shelter first to check if you can self refer and, if so, to make the arrangements.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/temporary_housing_if_youre_homeless

1 hour ago, Mitochondrial Eve said:

It sounds as though they do not consider you to have priority need which would be wrong if you have a serious health condition or disability and could be challenged with medical evidence. They should have at least completed a personal housing plan with you with a view to helping you find somewhere to live even if they can't provide emergency / temporary accommodation - I hope they have done this.

You might be able to self refer to a night shelter or winter shelter instead - you can search for one on the following link:

https://www.homeless.org.uk/search-homelessness-services

Some shelters do need a referral from a Council or advice agency, however. Therefore, apparently it's best to phone the shelter first to check if you can self refer and, if so, to make the arrangements.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/temporary_housing_if_youre_homeless

I'm not going to bother with it anymore.

Edited by Stephen Truth Seeker
Spelling

3 hours ago, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

Well, you're not doing yourself any favours, are you?

Why give up trying? It seems like you're not telling us the full story if you're not willing to seek help, and, as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

My motto is help those who help themselves. No sympathy here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PeakGammon said:

Why give up trying? It seems like you're not telling us the full story if you're not willing to seek help, and, as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

My motto is help those who help themselves.

I'm not posting all kinds of personal information on here just for pebs like you. FUCK OFF!!

11 hours ago, PeakGammon said:

Yes, when I was homeless and temporarily living in a tent in a wood I soon got out and up, so if I can do it anybody can unless they're mentally ill or stoned or drunk..:)

For the record I simply packed up my tent and went to a relative in Plymouth to sleep on their couch for a few weeks while I signed on at the Jobcentre.

Then I saved up my dole money for a rent deposit on a flat, then looked in the paper's 'Accomodation Vacant' column and arranged to view a few properties.

I had a shower, combed my hair and went along and said to the landlord "I'm unemployed but no problem, I'll simply say on the Housing Benefit claim form that the rent is  to be paid straight into your bank account. meanwhile I've got the deposit here and now", and waved a wad of notes under his nose which made his eyes light up and that's a bingo! I was in..:)   

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

I'm not posting all kinds of personal information on here just for pebs like you. FUCK OFF!!

The point is that people are trying to help you, and all you say is "fuck the system".

Sometimes, one has to play the game in one's best interests, and Eve gave sound advice to try help you, but you don't want that help.

If that is the case, then why do you expect sympathy for a situation of your own making?

That is why most people do not engage with those on the streets because they don't help themselves and do what "normal" people would do if they found themselves on the streets.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dropship said:

Yes, when I was homeless and temporarily living in a tent in a wood I soon got out and up, so if I can do it anybody can unless they're mentally ill or stoned or drunk..:)

For the record I simply packed up my tent and went to a relative in Plymouth to sleep on their couch for a few weeks while I signed on at the Jobcentre.

Then I saved up my dole money for a rent deposit on a flat, then looked in the paper's 'Accomodation Vacant' column and arranged to view a few properties.

I had a shower, combed my hair and went along and said to the landlord "I'm unemployed but no problem, I'll simply say on the Housing Benefit claim form that the rent is  to be paid straight into your bank account. meanwhile I've got the deposit here and now", and waved a wad of notes under his nose which made his eyes light up and that's a bingo! I was in..:)   

Exactly right. I was made unintentionally homeless (landlord sold the house and my tenancy ended) and even though I have an ongoing battle with my local council, I still engaged with them to ensure my family and I had a roof over our heads.

If one refuses to engage with the organisations which can help homeless people, then there isn't much people can do. Feeding homeless people is a nice gesture and the human thing to do, but it just enables them because they know they can earn a fortune from do gooders.

I used to go busking a few years back when I was skint, and people gave notes to the people on the streets whereas I only occasionally got notes (not because I was shit, just that people obviously feel guilty/sorry for street people, even though most of them were druggies).

I appreciate some homeless are mentally ill, but they should seek help, or the police should round them up and get them help.

It's a messy situation that needs sorting, but self-apathy is never good in a survival situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeakGammon said:

Feeding homeless people is a nice gesture and the human thing to do, but it just enables them because they know they can earn a fortune from do gooders.

Yes, same with shameless beggars. If we had no welfare system I wouldn't mind tipping them a few bob, but we DO have a welfare system that guarantees nobody will starve, so I don't know how they've got the gall to sit like bums in the street begging handouts from passersby.

One was showing a red mark on his neck to people and telling the sob story- "I tried to hang myself but the rope broke", so I gave him a handout, perhaps he needed cash to buy a new rope.. 

Edited by Dropship
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dropship said:

Yes, same with shameless beggars. If we had no welfare system I wouldn't mind tipping them a few bob, but we DO have a welfare system that guarantees nobody will starve, so I don't know how they've got the gall to sit like bums in the street begging handouts from passersby.

Most of them on the streets do it for drug money. As I mentioned about the busking I used to do, you'd see the watery-eyed do-gooders buying them food and giving them money, and later on that day you'd see them off their faces on heroin or crack.

I don't support such blaggers, and I actively oppose people giving them handouts. If people didn't give them handouts then they would either be forced to get proper help, or die, and I suspect most would seek help.

55 minutes ago, Dropship said:

One was showing a red mark on his neck to people and telling the sob story- "I tried to hang myself but the rope broke", so I gave him a handout, perhaps he needed cash to buy a new rope.. 

Hopefully he bought a more sturdy rope... 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 1:10 AM, PeakGammon said:

Peakgammon if you have ever had to deal with these people you would know it is like trying yo get blood out of a stone, they are cold because the services are so few in terms of property, you have a much greater chance if you are a pregnant refugee....in the west end on the piccadilly I know there is a church that people sleep  in in the winter months, provided they have local connections, and goodness knows where they go in the summer months.....

@PeakGammon: Totally agree with all your points. In my home town there's various volunteers going round offering meals to the homeless/street guys in the city centre.  There's also Food Not Bombs operating out of a vegan social centre, and they get given food from a local shop nearing the sell by date and make lovely nutritious vegan meals like curries to give out to these guys and anyone else passing who would like a free meal. 

If I was homeless and buying food from donations given to me by the public I'd buy the following that would keep for a bit in my rucksack: jars of peanut butter, oat crackers, tins of baked beans ( they can be eaten cold), bottles of mineral water ( only 17p in Tescos for a litre), bananas, apples, those nak'd type raw bars they sell in Home Bargains for 99p for 4. Then I'd accept the free meals cooked by charities like Food Not Bombs and charity community kitchens ( we have some of those too). Plenty of healthy veggie/vegan options around.

Eggs and meat should never be eaten raw I agree- full of harmful bacteria! These sorts of bacteria can kill a person. Raw milk can be 50-50; it could harbour bacteria, but then it might not. However it was known as a source of Tuberculosis in the past.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, jupiter12 said:

In my home town it's local charity community groups who provide meals for homeless/street guys as I mentioned. Some are church groups,  the Anglican Cathedral food bank, some are community groups, and there's Food Not Bombs. It's often on a local level where the help is provided, but not the actual headquarters of big state church organisations that donate large sums of money, so I agree with your points above. It's mostly provided on donations of food, clothing and time by volunteers and local people, not the rich!

Also Shelter and Citizens Advice help ( support and food vouchers)

My local Tescos has a foodbank box.

I'm not a fan of Russell Brand, but he was correct on that point- the world has billions hid away in bank accounts of super rich elites who couldn't possibly spend it all.

Yes, poor Mr. Jones aged 88 with his 1 hour a day home care is causing "austerity", so let's cut it to 30 mins a day. Whilst Simon Farquar- Henley, MP in his big Surrey mansion , holiday home in the South of France and hotel "expenses" in London when he "attends Parliament" are not triggering "austerity measures."

Edited by itsnotallrightjack

On 12/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, Stephen Truth Seeker said:

Have you been to Citizens Advice? They can help you with a lot of issues relating to being homeless. I hope you get the help you need.

How old are you? If you are an adult, just go out for work, earn money, find a wife, build your home.

If you are a little child, maybe under 14. Then ask the government for help.

I recommend taking free ketchup packets from any fast food chain, some tabasco sauce (perhaps pepper, if you have it), and mix it all with water. It makes a ok evening meal.