bamboozooka

windows 7 support ends

microsoft are ending the support of windows 7 on 14/1/20 so there will be no more security updates.

so you can either stay on 7, buy a license and upgrade to 10 or if your computer is old and slow and 

10 won't run and you need to buy a new pc

when windows 10 first came out microsoft gave you the chance to upgrade for free, this lasted about a year.

looking on youtube you can still upgrade to win10 free.

so i downloaded the update assistant and i've upgraded win 7 to win 10 on 2 laptops today.

Don't panic everyone.

I only upgraded from Windows XP to windows 7 about 3 years ago at home and was still receiving XP updates almost until that time, though they were restricted to urgent security patches.

I never had any problems.

Also, be aware that most of the public bodies' computer systems are still running Windows 7 right now,  and likely to stay that way for the next 3-5 years depending on hardware replacement programs. Microsoft generally have built-in agreements with these bodies to carry on issuing security updates until full replacement programs have been implemented. They therefore hit everyone else's PC's via Microsoft Update.

I'll be staying on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future. Windows 10 is a bloody nightmare, vital elements of control are removed from the user and there are issues with data mining and compulsory "updates" which may disable certain device drivers within  your machine. I've got bitter experience of this, I ended up having to reload Win7 to all the workstations at the company I work for, as Windows 10 was causing all sorts of issues which all miraculously disappeared after Windows 7 was reinstated... :-/

Bear that in mind! 

Edited by HAARPING_On
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Why bother with windoze when you can have a Linux distro for free, which is customisable and gets no viruses. I have have been a Linux user since 2010- would never go back to windoze.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

windows media creation tool

gives windows 7 and 8 direct access to free upgrade to windows 10

I need to do a linux build and keep my windows PC for entertainment and productivity. If Adobe apps worked with linux I would switch in a heartbeat as my other main apps Unity and Blender already have linux support. I have 900+ games on Steam too which mostly are exclusive to windows, but I rarely play games these days so I could live without them.

Just remember Windows 10 was offered for free... there's no such thing as a free lunch, just ask yourselves why were they doing that?

They want something in return... your personal information!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, HAARPING_On said:

Just remember Windows 10 was offered for free... there's no such thing as a free lunch, just ask yourselves why were they doing that?

They want something in return... your personal information!!!

In 30 days time they won't be getting much more information from me, I have cut the gordian knot and we are getting rid of the internet and landline, and only be using an old mobile sparingly for the near future, the making things and growing season is about to begin so it's goodnight Mr Internet after then, only a ten pound disconnection fee and no contract and we will take a deep breath and be able to breath again.

Edited by The Apprentice
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

In 30 days time they won't be getting much more information from me, I have cut the gordian knot and we are getting rid of the internet and landline, and only be using an old mobile sparingly for the near future, the making things and growing season is about to begin so it's goodnight Mr Internet after then, only a ten pound disconnection fee and no contract and we will take a deep breath and be able to breath again.

Which means you won't be here on this forum ? :classic_ohmy:

19 minutes ago, Basket Case said:

Which means you won't be here on this forum ? :classic_ohmy:

That is right, we are going off grid wherever we can and will be looking in every now and again if we are in town for a coffee at one of the free internet cafes, we will still have our old mobile so not totally off grid, which we can take the battery out when we are not using it, so we will be internet blind and you know what else that entails, that's right we cannot be spied upon either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

That is right, we are going off grid wherever we can and will be looking in every now and again if we are in town for a coffee at one of the free internet cafes, we will still have our old mobile so not totally off grid, which we can take the battery out when we are not using it, so we will be internet blind and you know what else that entails, that's right we cannot be spied upon either.

Wow.....hardcore.
You get all your bills and stuff sent on paper now then ?
Every organisation l'm 'attached to' require online payments and /or online accounts.
Seems difficult to do what you're planning.
l'm guessing you have it all sorted..

Just now, Basket Case said:

Wow.....hardcore.
You get all your bills and stuff sent on paper now then ?
Every organisation l'm 'attached to' require online payments and /or online accounts.
Seems difficult to do what you're planning.
l'm guessing you have it all sorted..

Yes everything is paper, we refused to go digital, once our wages are paid into the bank we draw out the cash, so they know how much we get but not what we spend it on, we have no credit or store cards so we are digital leppers in many ways.

Cash is king and almost untraceable.

If ever you buy something do not ask for a receipt, if you do their internal security camera is most likely live/online and will link you to the name you give to facial recon.

If you can get others to buy things for you, then you do not show.

Use your cheque book also, use cash period, take back your independance.

3 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Yes everything is paper, we refused to go digital, once our wages are paid into the bank we draw out the cash, so they know how much we get but not what we spend it on, we have no credit or store cards so we are digital leppers in many ways.

Cash is king and almost untraceable.

If ever you buy something do not ask for a receipt, if you do their internal security camera is most likely live/online and will link you to the name you give to facial recon.

If you can get others to buy things for you, then you do not show.

Use your cheque book also, use cash period, take back your independance.

Kudos to you.
l seldom use public transport and am flabbergasted that l can't just hop onto a bus or train and pay cash.
Same with parking in central London......mobile phone App or call and use credit card......fucking madness.
l rarely see people use cash in shops now. Everyone seems happy to tap their card onto a machine....not even using their PIN number :classic_blink: 
Good luck to you :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

Have a good time!

For those interested more internet providers are starting to offer 1, 6 and 9 months contracts these days with some with no contract deals.and mobiles are starting to come out with the ability to be used as home routers too so no need to sign ones life away on a long contract these days.