JaneH

Taking Musk to Court

I was looking into setting up a crowdfunding website in the hope to raise funds for a lawyer/s to halt Musk's launching of thousands more satellites and others companies like his that will soon be joining the race.

Yes these satellites are very much the next step towards a very sinister future use, yes they are a blight on the night sky but every launch does destroy and damage our earths protective atmosphere as the rockets burn their way through into orbit. Apparently, rocket fuel burns differently at different atmospheric pressures, so ground level readings are not same as in the upper layers of our atmosphere, and I just read an article about the launches destroying the ozone layer and potentially create more damage than all the cfc's over all the years put together. 

It is the last point that can be proven factually and scientifically in court as causing potential catastrophic damage.

I wonder if anyone has any pointers to names I can research and talk to in the first instance to get the ball rolling.

I am also researching lawyers though the few 'space lawyers' I have talked to, there is a conflict of interest with all of them.

Crowdfunding solicitors to set up website all declined.

So it is a start from scratch job. The crowdfunding also allows concerned members of the public in every country a constructive way forward to hold these organisations to account.  

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.:))

Welcome to the forum Jane ....

I think the problem you have is that space is outside the legal jurisdiction of any country ... Even if every country on the planet forbade him from launching rockets from their territories he could still launch from international waters .

Only increased public awareness can stop this and similar things .

......i thought i would concentrate on the legalities before they get to space...ie. the fuel they use that is known to react with our earths protective layers....i believe that leaves enormous footprints that they would have to account for....and crowdfunding would be a way of opening up the arena for those that have serious concerns...of which there are many worldwide. Thats the revenue income which represents those concerns in taking action.

So I'm looking for a brave honest lawyer.

It is a david and goliath,  but small pebbles thrown at the vulnerable point can often have an impact.  Bit like australian sheep shearers...they can hold the sheep motionless with one finger on the correct pressurepoint and angle.

And, of course, this diverse little planet is my home....as it is for millions of others...i'd rather like to see it remain natural, breathable and livable for my children and their children with benign forces all working together to ensure our home stays beautiful with the freedoms to enjoy. :))

might just be better to have him taken out/killed etc. 

could make a request and see if the universe approves?? 

lol that's there for ever now. must of been moody ;)

anyway government bodies are giving him permission to do so, so that may make it harder in courts of such countries to pursue him legally  

in theory would have to go to UN court or something similar. but then would you'd be a globalist??

Edited by rooey

.. lol...or I could just wait for them all to malfunction of course, and heave a sigh of relief as all his satellites and the other 10's of thousands intended on being launched will plop harmlessly back into the oceans like a beautiful choreographed ballet, there to lie on the sandy ocean bottom providing fresh habitats for another burgeoning coral reef.....perhaps the sun's coronas will fry their electrics, or the chain of architects mental delusions of being untouchable by nature will indeed be their greatest downfall.....i was once told...the mistake these people make every single time is that their egos and misguidance think they can control mother nature......I shall await her reply to them all.....:)))

One way to approach this would be to get astonomers on board. I was chatting with a professor who leads an astro physics research group recently, both of us bemoaning the light pollution which stops us from seeing the night sky the way it should be. Astronomers are getting very angry with Elon Musk and would no doubt love to stop him.

https://www.universetoday.com/144949/astronomers-have-some-serious-concerns-about-starlink-and-other-satellite-constellations/

Quote from link:

'Then there’s the question of legality, and which bodies can authorize the deployment of satellite constellations.

The authors draw our attention to the 1994 statement from UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). That statement says “Persons belonging to future generations have the right to an uncontaminated and undamaged Earth, including pure skies; they are entitled to its enjoyment as the ground of human history of culture and social bonds that make each generation and individual a member of one human family.”

That same statement from UNESCO also says “Here, World Heritage is the property of all humankind, and while there may be protective laws, enforcing this is another matter, as only States can sue other States under this type of international treaty. A State is responsible for the activities that occur within its jurisdiction – whether they are authorized or unauthorized.”

The three astronomers point out that since the FCC and other bodies in the United States have given approval to Starlink, they may be able to halt Starlink, too. They may even be obligated to under international law.

They also mention the Outer Space Treaty, and say “And the legal process is that the state government, this time the USA government, is legally responsible for all objects sent into outer space that launch from USA borders. That means, that it is the USA government that is responsible for the harm caused by its corporation, Starlink, sending objects into orbit that cause harm.”

The paper draws to a close by pointing out possible legal actions that the international community could take to stop satellite constellations.

They could sue the FCC because in their approval they didn’t take light pollution into account, which violates the National Environmental Policy Act. That act requires any federal agency to consider the environmental impact of the projects they approve. The authors claim that the FCC didn’t adequately consider the light pollution from Starlink.

The international astronomy community could “sue in court for lack of jurisdiction and jurisprudence of US FCC to authorize private not geostationary satellites over other states and nations.” This calls into question the FCC’s right to even authorize satellite constellations that travel over other nations.

Then there’s the International Court of Justice (ICJ). The three authors say the international community could sue the US government at the ICJ “… to put on hold further Starlink launches to quantify the loss of public finances in damaging national and international astronomical projects.”

The international astronomy community started a petition in January 2020. The community wants a hold put on Starlink and others, they want legal protections put in place for astronomical observing, and they want to limit the number of satellite constellations to a minimum.'

On the unesco, world heritage point, that only states can sue other states....is that a 'state' that has to be recognised by united nations that can take another state to court ie. SAN MARINO......or can a 'state' not recognised by the UN be also legally eligible to embark on beginning proceedings?

Many thanks for your reply Silent Bob, very much appreciated :))

....and the fcc's assumption it has the right to authorise anything other than geo stationary satellites  over its own country is certainly a wide open door a legal team can happily and confidently walk through.....the FCC certainly are not operating legitimately and do not have the right to be the voice of any other country but their own...and even geo stationary satellites should by rights have been put to the vote when it affects so many of their own citizens ......america...country of the free eh?......in fact, there is quite a field day to be had, many angles to take but well worth pursuing for so many reasons already mentioned on this site. :))

• Like 1