Sign in to follow this  
Moonlight

Chernobyl

I would like to open a Chernobyl thead because I have lots of respect of radioactivity 😮
even when you fly you become your dose of radiation.....when you fly by night its a bit better

a handful men saved Europe (and the world) from the super GAU - because some days later there would have been another explosion

...all of them died soon afterwards 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Chernobyl reuslted in restrictions on Cumbrian and welsh (North Wales) sheep farms.

It was 26 years before the restrictions were removed

• Thanks 1

Very glad to see a Chernobyl thread. Here's a basic video for the uninitiated, it's an hour and a half long but worth the watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This documentary deals with the events that took place in the lead up to the reactor failing & Dyatlovs role causing it. 47 mins long. 

I am also adding a website link I highly recommend as the woman that runs the site has traveled around taking photos of the abandoned homes & villages on a motorcycle. It's a really cool read and eerily puts things into perspective.

http://www.elenafilatova.com

Edited by MagnumPO'd
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

What about Fukushima Daiichi and it's sister plant fukushima Daini (saved by a makeshift power delivery cable from a power source miles away).     

Fukushima Daini: un equipo de héroes. - EbocamePHOTO DE Fukushima - les vraies infos

Edited by MG-ɹǝʍo┴
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, MG-ɹǝʍo┴ said:

What about Fukushima Daiichi and it's sister plant fukushima Daini (saved by a makeshift power delivery cable from a power source miles away). 

Heh, yup! But Fukushima is fixed, they sent frogmen into the spent fuel pools to recover the spent fuel and weld up the melted out reactors (sarcasm) !

They are even having the baseball/softball 2020 Olympics in Fukushima Prefecture! 

• Like 1

Don't worry.  They can always raise the exposure thresholds even more to make us all feel safer about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JacksonsGhost said:

Don't worry.  They can always raise the exposure thresholds even more to make us all feel safer about it.

The Pacific ocean helps to trap radio nuclei as if it were one big spent fuel pool, with the added benefit of radioactive heavy metals settling at the bottom and being slowly entombed under layer after layer of silt and trash.  

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 8:27 PM, Moonlight said:

I would like to open a Chernobyl thead because I have lots of respect of radioactivity 😮
even when you fly you become your dose of radiation.....when you fly by night its a bit better

a handful men saved Europe (and the world) from the super GAU - because some days later there would have been another explosion

...all of them died soon afterwards 🙂

2 hours ago, Golden Retriever said:

I´m in no way saying that radiation wasn´t responsible, but thinking logically why are trees and fauna so prevalent today in the area in 2017?

Can someone explain this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/chernobyl-fire-exclusion-zone-forests-radiation-nuclear-ukraine-accident-fatal-exposure-a7816096.html

I'll give it a shot Golden Retriever. Plants do keep growing in contaminated areas. They do have issues with gigantism and other mutations. Mushrooms tend to do alright as well, but you won't want to eat one once you run a geiger counter over it as they absorb a higher amount of rads than other plants. I believe the wildlife being able to carry on is mainly due to there not being humans there. The same with the plants and trees too actually. Mother Nature always wins :classic_smile:

• Like 2

Here's the famous "elephants foot". Only one guy that was part of that team survived.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golden Retriever said:

I´m in no way saying that radiation wasn´t responsible, but thinking logically why are trees and fauna so prevalent today in the area in 2017?

Can someone explain this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/chernobyl-fire-exclusion-zone-forests-radiation-nuclear-ukraine-accident-fatal-exposure-a7816096.html

chernobyl.jpg?w968

Shortly after the release there was "red forest" where all the trees died.  They feared a forest fire that would lift the contamination into the atmosphere so they sprayed it with congealing and fire retarding agents, many of the isotopes are extremely hot but have short half life. You only hear about Strontium 90 and Cesium 137 because they're long lived isotopes, Cesium replaces potassium and strontium replaces calcium in the building blocks of life. Many  All of the skeletal remains of wildlife are radioactive from the strontium in the bones and calcite of these animals. All the living things in this area are contaminated with these isotopes. I long lived organisms like us, turtles, and other forms of life is the danger of accumulated buildup from eating contaminated foods. 

The reason it's green is from the decay of radioactive isotopes, however, many many mutations can be found in these "zones" along with shorter lifespans and higher leukemia and cancers. Nuclear corium is the most toxic and hazardous substance on earth. It's best to flee a plume and avoid being contaminated by these "hot" (ionizing radiation) isotopes. 

The first responders at Chernobyl were working in the equivalent of a microwave oven, many suffered burns that day and all died from radiation sickness, a sickness caused by dead cells breaking down and entering the bloodstream, thereby overwhelming the bodies ability to repair and filter the flood of death throughout every vessel and capillary, it a horrible and painful way to die! You're literally cooked inside out!    

Visit Chernobyl and Pripyat: Nuclear disaster tourism in ...THE MOST AMAZING & WEIRDEST PLACES ON EARTH: THE RED FOREST

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MG-ɹǝʍo┴ said:

The Pacific ocean helps to trap radio nuclei as if it were one big spent fuel pool, with the added benefit of radioactive heavy metals settling at the bottom and being slowly entombed under layer after layer of silt and trash.  

Dilution is the solution to pollution so the cliche goes.  I will not eat Pacific seafood no matter what they say about its safety.  Hot particles are something I prefer to avoid.

• Like 2

That sign would definitely keep me at bay.

The Soviets that directly fought Chernobyl are true heroes in my book.

• Like 2

Why all the negativity about widespread nuclear contamination? 

It makes mankind smarter!  

Just look at that head!  

A deformed baby on the Marshall Islands. Photo by Hiroshi ...

Tracers & Radioisotopes : Oceanus Magazine

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, It'sallbs said:

Dounreay leaked into the sea off the north coast of Scotaland for 20 years. They said it will never be cleaned up.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14619830-600-lid-blown-off-dounreays-lethal-secret/

Related image

Oddly bs, I watched some documentaries on Windscale/Sellafield last night before bed. I never realized how bad Windscale truly was. 

Thanks again OP Moonlight for starting this thread.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Air cooled reactors and air cooled engines have allot in common, they both over heat and catch on fire! 

VOLKSWAGEN MAGGIOMODELLI: BEETLE VOLKSWAGEN ...

Edited by MG-ɹǝʍo┴