motleyhoo

Post your rig, I mean computer build...

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

The rig I have has an AMD FX-6350, a GTX 960 3gb and 16gb RAM. Definitely shows it's age though. Once I have finished my current project in Unity I will probably get one of the new Ryzen chips, not sure what GPU to get yet though as I haven't followed build guides or benchmarks for a while. Might just save for a rendering workstation.

What are you making with Unity? I am currently making a top-down shooter for Android that I am going to put on the PlayStore. I also like the Unreal Engine 4, as it offers much better graphics and performance but I find that I can build something in Unity much more quickly.

As for my system, I have a crappy AMD laptop with a 2 core CPU at 2.9GhZ with integrated Radeon R4 GPU , 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB HD with Windows 10. I had a desktop AMD Ryzen 2200 (very good APU, and the 3200 is even better at cheap price now) rig in 2018 that I built myself but I had to sell it before moving.

Edited by Hermetix

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Hermetix said:

I also like the Unreal Engine 4

I want to make the jump to Unreal too, especially after seeing Unreal Engine 5. Looks great, I just hope it's more flexible than UE4.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Hermetix said:

What are you making with Unity? I am currently making a top-down shooter for Android that I am going to put on the PlayStore. I also like the Unreal Engine 4, as it offers much better graphics and performance but I find that I can build something in Unity much more quickly.

As for my system, I have a crappy AMD laptop with a 2 core CPU at 2.9GhZ with integrated Radeon R4 GPU , 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB HD with Windows 10. I had a desktop AMD Ryzen 2200 (very good APU, and the 3200 is even better at cheap price now) rig in 2018 that I built myself but I had to sell it before moving.

Forgot to add what I was working on, sorry had a few drinks lol.

I'm working on a low poly wave based FPS like CoD zombies, but with some fortification mechanics. Also helping a friend with some assets for a survival game.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld

On 6/27/2020 at 6:28 PM, chocomel said:

Will look into a mesh case.

Near total silence? wow....

I think putting all the components are the easiest part....it's choosing which is time consuming...

Where do you buy your components in the UK guys?

Apart from Amazon and ebay....do you use ebuyer or anywhere better?

Go to the pcpartpicker website.  It's like the pc building bible.  See if after you enter in all the components you want it gives you places in the uk to get them.  If you choose to let pcpartpicker send out the purchases for you, you'll actually get a discount.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I just determined that right now is about the worst time to build a PC that we have faced in years as far as parts shortages and inflated prices goes.  I went out last night to get the cpu for my new build.  I just want a simple Ryzen 5 1600 af, which is just a rebranded 2600, and on both amazon and newegg the price was double what is normal.  I started looking around at other components and it is a complete mess out there.  Lots of stuff, like graphics cards and such, that were easily available just 6 weeks ago are now sold out everywhere.  Prices on everything, even cases, are through the roof.  Thinking about it, the supply chains are in such a shambles, with many parts of the marketplace destroyed, I'm not sure we'll be back to normal 2 years from now.  I might try to see what I can find as soon as possible before things get even worse.  It's gonna end up costing me probably an extra $300-400, sigh.....