Sign in to follow this  
Beachcomber

Athlete A and USA gymnast team

I’ve just watched Athlete A on Netflix. It’s about Larry Nassar the team physical therapist and how he was able to sexually abuse gymnasts under the guise of medical treatment for years. Maggie Nichols who was known as athlete A told how when she reported him to the governing body USA gymnastics, instead of taking action, it cost her place in the 2016 Olympic team. For 15 months after that he continued to abuse girls in the team until a newspaper (IndyStar) did an article on it. Another victory for unafraid, independent journalism (Epstein). 

Over 500 girls including 9 Olympians, have now come forward including Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and Rachel Denhollander. Many of these girls were told this treatment was normal if they questioned the abuse, and that it could have a detrimental effect on their chances to be on the team. I wont go into detail, suffice to say these were young girls who were systematically abused on a sometimes daily basis and UASG did nothing to protect them, in fact they did the opposite, they protected the abuser! Since the court case, the entire USAG board have resigned and looks as though they could now go bankrupt due to massive cost of hundreds of lawsuits.

I’ve always watched gymnastics, used to wonder how the hell they could do those insane things with their bodies. It’s quite a sad world for them though, and after watching this, sordid. From what was an adult sport/world changed from the 70s to mainly teens, children. Well for the girls anyway. And the costumes! As soon as they take a step those ‘shorts’ are already like a thong and I’m sure I’ve read they actually lose points if they try to correct it. How, in this day age has any of this been allowed? 

• Like 1

Did you see how the District Attorney some of the girls went to for help indicting and prosecuting Nassar talked all of them out of it by scaring them into believing the Defence would destroy their lives?  I don't know where she is today, but that woman should be charged with abuse of power and disbarred.  She was protecting her social circle of friends, which included the President and other top administrators at MSU.

Have you ever watched College gymnastics?  They don't look anything like the little pixies that get sent to the Olympics.

• Like 1

The CEO Steve Penny tampered with evidence to protect him, he removed documents. Also former Uni president, Lou Simon was charged with lying to police, said she knew nothing about any claims. And a coach Kathie Klages, knew about it very early on, also said nothing and lied to police. Rotten from the top down. Disgusting! They all faced felony charges.

You’re right, it seemed to be about the 1970s when you had Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci scoring perfect 10s when you suddenly had all these younger girls appearing. Always thought it was a it worrying, heard stories of drug abuse to stop them maturing, cruelty in training but this, in the same room as parents sometimes! But protected from the top - ‘he was such a lovely guy, couldn’t possibly be true... ‘

10 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

From what was an adult sport/world changed from the 70s to mainly teens, children.

to be fair  there is gentical explanation for this

human body is most flexible when it is young

(among other things)

althgouh flexibility is motoric ability which you can develop in any age,that is general and thus at the top level competition things are pushed as much as possible 

• Like 1