Sign in to follow this  
size of light

There's No Logical Reason Why Your Mirror Reflection Isn't Another 'Real' You

@size of light Pain is distortion/manipulation, a sharp nail pressing against the skin on my hand. why do clothes not cause us pain?

so what your saying is : What is our core, and do we even have one? Am i understanding you better?

35 minutes ago, Jumpeogue said:

@size of light Pain is distortion/manipulation, a sharp nail pressing against the skin on my hand. why do clothes not cause us pain?

Pain hurts, but the pain of pain isn't because there is a 'thing' (pain) causing another 'thing' (you or I) to feel pain in the sense of suffering.

It's our mental aversion to pain that causes the suffering aspect that we experience.

The way to test this for yourself is to think about (or physically experiment with) exercise, or engaging in a social activity you have aversion to: initially, you will experience 'pain' in the sense of suffering, but the more you get used to it, the more the suffering diminishes and dissolves, while the pain stimuli remains.

Clothing is a great example, because people who have never worn them (e.g. tribes) and animals, can experience a lot of discomfort/irritation/pain the first time they do.

But we all get used to it and the pain goes away.

This equates with what I said in the previous post: The more you look at something, the more it dissolves.

so what your saying is : What is our core, and do we even have one? Am i understanding you better?

Yep.

Although maybe thinking about us having a 'core' isn't the ideal approach, because it continues to suggest a sense of something 'solid' to find at the root of it all.

'Essence' might be a better word to evoke the ineffable quality underlying experiences.

Edited by size of light
  • Thanks 1

2-minute Laminar Flow video posted as an analogy to demonstrate why recognising and returning to the mirror-like nature of your being is an effective way to untangle your mind, purify your perception and undo the illusory 'mess' of your life (recognition begins at 1:38):

Edited by size of light
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ink said:

No mate....it means that IF they perceive their world through MY considerations then they have no individualism and thus will not extend past this limited 'life'. And I comprehend that to do this is wrong.

It's a bit like the quote "If you save a life then you are always responsible for the actions of that life"....Thats not to say that I wouldn't save a life, it is though stating that the actions then (of that saved life) become mine and the one saved is less then if they had 'saved' themselves.

Personally I hope that they consider it, along with all else which they have knowledge of or self experience of....then make their own choice upon.

To just accept another's words is the end of the self and thus the end of you.

Never thought of the 'save someone's life/bear responsibility for their future actions' thing before.

I tend to adhere to Noam Chomsky's view on ethical responsibility: "you are responsible for the predictable consequences of your actions, you're not responsible for the predictable consequences of somebody else's actions.”

In my case, I struggle big time with an awareness that I might be saying the right thing but I'm the wrong person to be saying it. I.e. If somebody doesn't like me for personal reasons (or my past behaviour), and is exposed to a certain idea or insight for the first time via me, then they might reject that line of thinking and never come back to it, not because it doesn't have merit, but because they associate it with me. It's a horrible feeling that is the fruit of my previous indiscretions.

That's one of the reasons I emphasise that what I'm saying in this thread isn't my 'theory' or 'hypothesis', but rather an observation that anyone can test for themselves and decide if it is their own.

The attitude is more on par with: "Check it out - water is wet, grass is green" than some kind of condescending: "According to my findings here's how you should re-program your mind..."

But it's difficult to consistently phrase thoughts in language that come across as the former and not the latter.

Edited by size of light

@size of light What makes me solid is :Freewill.

The guy in the mirror did'nt control me to look into a mirror, i chose that act, to fix my hair, shave my face.

Thats a logical reason why i believe the mirror theory is ( even though i like it ) difficult for me to grasp.

5 hours ago, Jumpeogue said:

The guy in the mirror did'nt control me to look into a mirror, i chose that act, to fix my hair, shave my face.

Thats a logical reason why i believe the mirror theory is ( even though i like it ) difficult for me to grasp.

There lies the insurmountable issue. If this "other" whatever exists....it comprises of a 100% duplicate doing 100% duplicate activities at the same time. Even the bits not in the mirror....must by the identical nature of every reflection necessitate no deviance at all from 100% duplication.

I fail to see the point of Mr. Mirror.

11 hours ago, Jumpeogue said:

Free will doesn't equal solidity though; even physicists agree that nothing is really 'solid' (the subsets of subsets of particles thing with empty space in between).

You could switch your example around and argue from the perspective of your reflection: he would say he decided to shave his face, and you're just reflecting his free will choice.

It's not really a question of which one is controlling the other - you're both acting simultaneously. Because you're perspective is on this side of the mirror, you believe this is the only real version, and vice versa for your reflection.

But logically, both are equally real, or equally unreal, or both are equally real and equally unreal - whichever description you prefer - and the only thing that blocks us from understanding this is our current reference point which is limited to one perspective only.

Think about the example below...

2ag3v3q.jpg

The guy on the extreme left of picture is the 'real' person, in our world, right? Then, right next to him we see his reflected face looking in the opposite direction. You'll notice the 'real' guy has a mole on the left side of his chin, whereas his reflection has a mole on the right side of his chin.

So they're different versions of the same person.

But look at the 2nd reflection of the guy in the mirror, who is looking at us in the same way as the 'real' guy. He has a mole on the left side of his cheek, just like the 'real' guy.

So the sequence is real guy - reflection - real guy - reflection - real guy - reflection.....etc. into infinity.

Even the 'real' guy is contained within the mirror an infinite number of times.

Though we currently occupy an arbitrary reference point amongst those infinite reflections we are convinced it is the only 'real' one.

Edited by size of light

1 minute ago, Jumpeogue said:

@size of light pictures of us are us in prison. Whats your thoughts on that?

Excellent observation.

However, the opposite is equally true (i.e. infinite freedom).

It all depends whether you identify your essence as the appearances themselves or as the fundamental quality of those mirrors that allows the appearances to arise.

What is that fundamental quality?

...?

6 hours ago, Rupert Ugo said:

There lies the insurmountable issue. If this "other" whatever exists....it comprises of a 100% duplicate doing 100% duplicate activities at the same time. Even the bits not in the mirror....must by the identical nature of every reflection necessitate no deviance at all from 100% duplication.

I fail to see the point of Mr. Mirror.

The real point is to turn the attention back onto ourselves and recognise that if we're fundamentally no different to our reflection, then the same underlying quality that allows an image to appear in a mirror is underlying our appearance in this world.

10 minutes ago, Jumpeogue said:

@size of light I would say the fundamental quality needs to be freedom.

Freedom would be the result, but not the quality you would need to identify with to get there and escape the sense of infinite nested dimensions of imprisonment in the example below.

2ag3v3q.jpg

3D mirrors probably illustrate the point better...

flvv4z.jpg

2di2kb9.jpg

2qbx34j.jpg

If we're in a reality where everything manifests due to the same underlying principle that allows reflections to appear in a mirror, what is the common quality of the above glass balls - apart from their spherical shape - that makes this happen?

Edited by size of light

18 minutes ago, size of light said:

What prevents you from seeing something in a mirror?

Light is the answer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jumpeogue said:

Light is the answer.

Clarity.

But you're near enough that I'll give you a trophy. 😜

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, size of light said:

Clarity.

But you're near enough that I'll give you a trophy. 😜

its people like you that make this forum work.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:04 AM, size of light said:

If we're in a reality

in a reality..  being 'in' reality

reality is a notion, an idea , the imaginary, the symbolic ... these words, this screen, the technology,

being 'in' it is difficult unless 'one' is part of reality, symbolic and not of the real

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:38 PM, size of light said:

You know what really pisses me off?

The very same scientists and skeptics who scoff at and dismiss the notion of the paranormal, don't blink an eye - and seem trapped in cognitve dissonance - when technology catches up and provides a platform to manifest phenomena that perfectly mimics 'paranormal' accounts dating back to the dawn of time.

Who are the real tinfoil-hatters?

How very true....

Scientists are searching for a mirror universe. It could be sitting right in front of you.

At Oak Ridge National Laboratory in eastern Tennessee, physicist Leah Broussard is trying to open a portal to a parallel universe.

She calls it an “oscillation” that would lead her to “mirror matter,” but the idea is fundamentally the same. In a series of experiments she plans to run at Oak Ridge this summer, Broussard will send a beam of subatomic particles down a 50-foot tunnel, past a powerful magnet and into an impenetrable wall. If the setup is just right — and if the universe cooperates — some of those particles will transform into mirror-image versions of themselves, allowing them to tunnel right through the wall. And if that happens, Broussard will have uncovered the first evidence of a mirror world right alongside our own.

“It’s pretty wacky,” Broussard says of her mind-bending exploration.

The mirror world, assuming it exists, would have its own laws of mirror-physics and its own mirror-history. You wouldn’t find a mirror version of yourself there (and no evil Spock with a goatee — sorry "Star Trek" fans). But current theory allows that you might find mirror atoms and mirror rocks, maybe even mirror planets and stars. Collectively, they could form an entire shadow world, just as real as our own but almost completely cut off from us....

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/scientists-are-searching-mirror-universe-it-could-be-sitting-right-ncna1023206

New Search for Mirror Neutrons at HFIR

The theory of mirror matter predicts a hidden sector made up of a copy of the Standard Model particles and interactions but with opposite parity. If mirror matter interacts with ordinary matter, there could be experimentally accessible implications in the form of neutral particle oscillations. Direct searches for neutron oscillations into mirror neutrons in a controlled magnetic field have previously been performed using ultracold neutrons in storage/disappearance measurements, with some inconclusive results consistent with characteristic oscillation time of τ10~s. Here we describe a proposed disappearance and regeneration experiment in which the neutron oscillates to and from a mirror neutron state. An experiment performed using the existing General Purpose-Small Angle Neutron Scattering instrument at the High Flux Isotope Reactor at Oak Ridge National Laboratory could have the sensitivity to exclude up to τ<15~s in 1 week of beamtime and at low cost.

PDF at link.... https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.00767

• Like 1